Increase in bag limit for Bass in 2020

Fishing with Plugs, Spinners and other Artificials

Moderators: teacher, MAC

Increase in bag limit for Bass in 2020

Postby Phortlairge » Mon Jan 13, 2020 5:13 am

What are people's opinions on this?


"A new increased bag limit for European bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) has been agreed by EU Council Ministers. In 2020, recreational anglers will now be allowed to take 2 bass per day over or equal to the minimum size of 42cm. This is an increase on the single fish allowed during much of 2019.

Anglers will be allowed to take up to 2 fish a day in all months except January, February and December (i.e. 1st March to 30th November), which are catch and release only periods to help protect spawning stocks. An increased bag limit had been called for by various lobby groups such as the European Angling Alliance (EAA)  , Save Our Sea Bass  and the UK’s Angling Trust ."
https://www.offthescaleangling.ie/news/ ... ions-2020/

For this message the author Phortlairge has received thanks:
donal domeney (Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:41 am)
Phortlairge
SAI Lug Worm
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:51 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 3 times

Advertisement

Re: Increase in bag limit for Bass in 2020

Postby donal domeney » Mon Jan 13, 2020 9:37 am

Phortlairge wrote:What are people's opinions on this?


"A new increased bag limit for European bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) has been agreed by EU Council Ministers. In 2020, recreational anglers will now be allowed to take 2 bass per day over or equal to the minimum size of 42cm. This is an increase on the single fish allowed during much of 2019.

Anglers will be allowed to take up to 2 fish a day in all months except January, February and December (i.e. 1st March to 30th November), which are catch and release only periods to help protect spawning stocks. An increased bag limit had been called for by various lobby groups such as the European Angling Alliance (EAA)  , Save Our Sea Bass  and the UK’s Angling Trust ."
https://www.offthescaleangling.ie/news/ ... ions-2020/


A subject I had planned to bring up.
While this has been pass at a EU level it can be tightened up on be the Irish government

This is what I got back from http://www.fisheriesireland.ie
"However these are an EU minimum and member states are at liberty to put more stringent regulations in place if they see fit.

My understanding is that this is currently under discussion at department level.

We will issue any update on Irish regulations as soon as we have them."


It is very irresponsible of bloggers and the facebook brigade to be quoting the new EU regulation a be the new legislation to apply in Ireland without reading into it properly. Offthescale is the only site I have seen the full story on these new regulations.

I have been in dozens of arguments with anglers over this.
Boat species '15 (31) Shore species (21) Total species 40 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth .92kg,(B) Spotted ray 6lb,(S) Painted ray 12.4lb
Boat species '16 (30) Shore species (17) Total species 36
Boat species '17 (35) Shore species (22) Total species 37 Specimen: (B) Bluemouth, (S) Flounder

For this message the author donal domeney has received thanks:
kieran (Mon Jan 13, 2020 11:10 am)
User avatar
donal domeney
Head of International Security and Bringer of World Peace
 
Posts: 4692
Images: 1
Joined: Thu Nov 04, 2004 11:13 pm
Location: cork
Has thanked: 639 times
Have thanks: 1129 times

Re: Increase in bag limit for Bass in 2020

Postby JimC » Mon Jan 13, 2020 6:11 pm

Phortlairge wrote:What are people's opinions on this?


"A new increased bag limit for European bass (Dicentrarchus labrax) has been agreed by EU Council Ministers. In 2020, recreational anglers will now be allowed to take 2 bass per day over or equal to the minimum size of 42cm. This is an increase on the single fish allowed during much of 2019.

Anglers will be allowed to take up to 2 fish a day in all months except January, February and December (i.e. 1st March to 30th November), which are catch and release only periods to help protect spawning stocks. An increased bag limit had been called for by various lobby groups such as the European Angling Alliance (EAA)  , Save Our Sea Bass  and the UK’s Angling Trust ."
https://www.offthescaleangling.ie/news/ ... ions-2020/




The increase is based on the premise that bass are recovering somewhat. Also the advisory bodies underestimated the amount of bass that were released and also underestimated the potential mortality of released fish. The lobbying is largely for UK and FR anglers. In these countries there is a commercial fishery and greater numbers of bass. Anglers felt unfairly treated when rod and line commercials and netters are working alongside them and getting more generous limits.

Bass are in no danger from bass anglers. The majority of bass anglers that catch bass regularly practice C&R. The danger to bass is from the fellows that catch an occasional one or who fluke them while fishing for other species. Many of these fish are killed. The greatest danger to bass is from illegal fishing. Those criminals will not give a monkeys what the law is in any case.

The EU legislation can be superseded by more stringent local law. This is common knowledge and has always been the case. However over the last few years the new EU regulations have been accepted by the Irish Government. Last year the regulations were enforced by statutory instrument and the department consulted no other bodies before issue.
You'll probably see towards the end of next month (or later in the event of an election) whether more stringent rules will be applied to Irish anglers.
In the absence of more stringent Ireland specific regulations the new EU regulations will be law, as in previous years.

It would be great if the the powers that be were a bit more progressive and brought in a "slot size" as well as well as limits. I wouldn't hold my breath on that one.

For this message the author JimC has received thanks: 2
chuckaroo (Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:26 am), corbyeire (Sat Jan 18, 2020 6:21 pm)
User avatar
JimC
Moderator
 
Posts: 2872
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:18 pm
Location: Cork
Has thanked: 240 times
Have thanks: 840 times

Re: Increase in bag limit for Bass in 2020

Postby LastCast2020 » Sun Jan 26, 2020 9:33 pm

Don't see the need to be keeping bass at all!!! we should be promoting saving them! i would rather C&R all day long.

For this message the author LastCast2020 has received thanks: 2
chuckaroo (Wed Feb 05, 2020 10:26 am), kieran (Mon Jan 27, 2020 11:17 am)
LastCast2020
SAI Lug Worm
 
Posts: 2
Joined: Sun Jan 26, 2020 8:12 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 6 times

Re: Increase in bag limit for Bass in 2020

Postby patk » Mon Jan 27, 2020 10:44 pm

LastCast2020 wrote:Don't see the need to be keeping bass at all!!! we should be promoting saving them! i would rather C&R all day long.

Anyone can of course practice C&R all day long.
patk
SAI Sea Dog!
 
Posts: 513
Joined: Wed Oct 17, 2007 2:06 pm
Location: CORK
Has thanked: 11 times
Have thanks: 52 times

Re: Increase in bag limit for Bass in 2020

Postby JimC » Tue Jan 28, 2020 4:50 pm

patk wrote:
LastCast2020 wrote:Don't see the need to be keeping bass at all!!! we should be promoting saving them! i would rather C&R all day long.

Anyone can of course practice C&R all day long.


Exactly!
User avatar
JimC
Moderator
 
Posts: 2872
Joined: Wed Jan 29, 2003 5:18 pm
Location: Cork
Has thanked: 240 times
Have thanks: 840 times

Re: Increase in bag limit for Bass in 2020

Postby cd07 » Wed Feb 05, 2020 1:21 am

Anyone keeping bass is mad imo. They taste good but I'd rather a flattie any day or nice Whiting. Restaurants and other commercials are pushing 'sea bass' and to the average person think yea cool local caught fresh fish. But the general public haven't a clue what they're eating. Us as anglers can tell if it's a tiny farmed bass from Greece or somewhere...! Mate of mine caught a 11lb bass last summer..the biggest I've personally witnessed! And to watch it swim off was just amazing and I dunno just...right! And that's what it should be about. I'm old enough to remember the serious drought of bass along especially our east coast....

For this message the author cd07 has received thanks: 2
corbyeire (Wed Feb 05, 2020 3:06 pm), JimC (Mon Feb 17, 2020 11:52 am)
User avatar
cd07
SAI Hammerhead
 
Posts: 210
Joined: Mon Sep 24, 2007 8:26 pm
Location: Balbriggan
Has thanked: 1 time
Have thanks: 30 times

Re: Increase in bag limit for Bass in 2020

Postby corkconian » Wed Feb 12, 2020 6:43 pm

This is my opinion
There seems to be a mentality around bass and some other fish that they should never be taken and anglers who take them are looked down upon. Fishing at the end of the day is really a method to catch food and if someone is within the law to take a fish then they shouldnt feel any pressure not to. Social media is a breeding ground for circle jerk mentality where people with the same views nearly become radicalised.

Anglers are not the problem when it comes to over fishing. If you want to release a fish thats your choice but if your friend wants to keep it to feed himself he should be able to.

For this message the author corkconian has received thanks: 4
donal domeney (Wed Feb 12, 2020 8:06 pm), jellybait (Thu Feb 13, 2020 8:47 am), ollie (Thu Feb 13, 2020 2:34 pm), ShaneH (Thu Feb 20, 2020 8:45 am)
User avatar
corkconian
SAI Bait Ball
 
Posts: 123
Joined: Thu Jan 14, 2016 1:36 pm
Location: Cork,Kerry,Galway
Has thanked: 6 times
Have thanks: 85 times

Re: Increase in bag limit for Bass in 2020

Postby Phortlairge » Fri Feb 14, 2020 7:13 pm

corkconian wrote:This is my opinion
There seems to be a mentality around bass and some other fish that they should never be taken and anglers who take them are looked down upon. Fishing at the end of the day is really a method to catch food and if someone is within the law to take a fish then they shouldnt feel any pressure not to. Social media is a breeding ground for circle jerk mentality where people with the same views nearly become radicalised.

Anglers are not the problem when it comes to over fishing. If you want to release a fish thats your choice but if your friend wants to keep it to feed himself he should be able to.


Exactly, I agree with every sentence, especially the circle jerk mentality of alot of people these days, it's pathetic, and after all the seas here do have quite a few of bass in them, I keep 4 or 5 a year to eat (out of atleast 400+ caught) if they're bleeders as they're delicious and it's disgusting and cowardly to throw a dying fish back, they're not my favorite fish to eat but definitely very tasty.
Phortlairge
SAI Lug Worm
 
Posts: 6
Joined: Mon Jul 15, 2019 5:51 pm
Has thanked: 0 time
Have thanks: 3 times


Return to Lure Fishing

Who is online

Users browsing this forum: No registered users and 0 guests