Rough ground for Cod

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Rough ground for Cod

Postby jack01986 » Tue Jan 08, 2019 1:47 pm

Hi guys, anyone have some tips on rough ground fishing for cod its been a while? Hoping to get out this weekend and try the rougher ground near Killiney or Shankill. Thanks.
jack01986
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 60 times

Re: Rough ground for Cod

Postby sea serpant » Tue Jan 08, 2019 3:54 pm

Dublin is very very hit and miss for codling cork Waterford is the direction to go although south wexford has produced this year for me . In saying that I have fished killiney for a very long time there is resident cod that are a dark red colour that I've caught right through the autumn and winter there going back maybe 6/7 years to the 3lb size so it is worth a try !! Venture past the tea rooms on your left right down to were the rocks end fish dead low water try cast as far as you can and use fresh crab as bait the ground your fishing over is foul so you will lose gear pulley rigs and rotten bottoms essential ! Again haven't tried for cod on that beach in a while bit I used to have them In the late autumn especially but it's a few years ago but worth a try

For this message the author sea serpant has received thanks: 2
jack01986 (Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:49 pm), keem (Wed Jan 09, 2019 8:45 am)
sea serpant
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 125 times
Blog: View Blog (1)

Re: Rough ground for Cod

Postby jack01986 » Thu Jan 10, 2019 12:50 pm

sea serpant wrote:Dublin is very very hit and miss for codling cork Waterford is the direction to go although south wexford has produced this year for me . In saying that I have fished killiney for a very long time there is resident cod that are a dark red colour that I've caught right through the autumn and winter there going back maybe 6/7 years to the 3lb size so it is worth a try !! Venture past the tea rooms on your left right down to were the rocks end fish dead low water try cast as far as you can and use fresh crab as bait the ground your fishing over is foul so you will lose gear pulley rigs and rotten bottoms essential ! Again haven't tried for cod on that beach in a while bit I used to have them In the late autumn especially but it's a few years ago but worth a try

Thanks for the advice, gonna try on Saturday and see how I get on. I'll put up a report either way.

For this message the author jack01986 has received thanks: 3
chuckaroo (Thu Jan 10, 2019 3:56 pm), jd (Fri Jan 11, 2019 10:01 pm), sea serpant (Thu Jan 10, 2019 5:01 pm)
jack01986
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 60 times

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum