Cork Harbour Sunday 5th Feb - Soft Plastics

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:09 pm

Took a run out in the Honwave on Sunday morning.... Was off the water in time to watch the rugby....probably should've stayed out :(

Still, the harbour was lovely and there were plenty of fish showing. Mainly codling and pollack with the odd demented coalie thrown in for good measure.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=urAXg9Z2I4g

Re: Cork Harbour Sunday 5th Feb - Soft Plastics

Tue Feb 07, 2012 8:58 pm

Surecatch powerbraid salty.....best value for money piece of kit that I bought last year 8) 8)

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:02 pm

jayus jim you dont half know how to rub it in :mrgreen: we on the east coast only used to have to read about cork cod .now we have to watch you catch them :mrgreen: :mrgreen: :mrgreen: . :lol: brilliant of course :lol:

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:23 pm

Yes Rory,the salty 7' is a lovely rod. There is also a 6'6" version. Must have a play with it shortly. The salty is great for soft plastics and hards. It gets beat up in deeper water with heavier heads but as you say it is superb value...

Not doing it on purpose Derek :lol:
The camera is a bit of Craic. Video is the new typing :P

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:34 pm

Lovely video and very much enjoyed the article in the Sea Angler too! I've been doing a bit of similar fishing in a Mercury Quicksilver 365 HD and 10hp Mariner in and around Strangford Lough - lovely way to fish. So close to the water, extremely mobile and some much needed peace and quiet...perfect :mrgreen:

Tue Feb 07, 2012 9:51 pm

Nice vid jim looks like great crack :wink:

Tue Feb 07, 2012 11:37 pm

Great video Jim. I hope you don't mind, I borrowed it. Video journalism; the way of the future. Watch out Irish Angler, you might lose a star!

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:03 am

real nice way to fish 8)

Wed Feb 08, 2012 12:14 am

Jim, at about 4:57, what was that you sprayed on the lure? Just after you dabbed on a bit of superglue as a running repair?

Cracking way to boat angle.

Wed Feb 08, 2012 8:39 am

Fab vid man..... Well done!!

Did I meet you at Guillen last year? I had the yellow kayak and dive gear?

Looks like similar boat and man :)

Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:44 am

Thanks lads...post production is killing me :D

That's just activator for the superglue Ger. Speeds up the process.

Yes Donnyboy I remember that! I spend a good bit of time down that way...just the boat varies :D

Wed Feb 08, 2012 11:53 am

Very good, was out at that spot you suggested again yesterday on my friends seahawk... looking for sole :)

I agree with the other lads... video reports are the way to go :)

Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:15 pm

Jim,

Very nice setup there - boat/engine and rod/reel. Nice light way to fish and nice bit of fishing too! Can I ask what kind of camera are you using - is it one of those GoPro Heros?

Thanks,
Pajo

Fri Feb 10, 2012 4:40 pm

pajo wrote:Jim,

Very nice setup there - boat/engine and rod/reel. Nice light way to fish and nice bit of fishing too! Can I ask what kind of camera are you using - is it one of those GoPro Heros?

Thanks,
Pajo

After much investigating and comparing I went for a Drift HD170 Stealth. It ticked more boxes for me than the GoPro for what I wanted it for. Wouldn't mind a gopro either though :D

Sat Feb 11, 2012 3:32 pm

Thanks Jim. It's excellent quality video. Couple of them 20lb Cork cod now is all you need...!

Mon Feb 13, 2012 4:25 pm

Nice way to fish the harbour there Jim :)

Tue Feb 14, 2012 10:01 pm

Thats class dude, seeing the pollock not that far off shore is tempting to me to hit the rocks this weekend if the sun keeps up :mrgreen:
video's are the way to go :mrgreen:

Wed Feb 29, 2012 7:03 pm

nice video mate.

Sat Mar 03, 2012 11:07 pm

Hi Jim

Wicked video’s man and a great way of fishing that I aint tried YET,

We have 4 tackle shops here in Limerick but all they seem to sell “Sea fishing wise” is rods reels and feathers for mackerel they are more into salmon and pike gear which depresses me greatly,

Any chance you might give me a link to Irish online shops where I might be able to source some lead head hooks and some advice on what mixture of jellies and hook sizes wouldn’t go amiss,

After watching your videos for the 50th time I cant wait to get out and give them a bash

Cheers for any help you might give.

Sun Mar 04, 2012 2:32 pm

Cheers Mann!

There’s more and more soft plastics becoming available locally. You should ask your local guys to get some in! In the meantime Dan Lynch or Henrys would each have a good selection: http://www.tackledirectireland.ie/ http://www.henrystackleshop.com/
Obviously the UK crowds do plenty as well. No harm to shop around.

I make my own heads. When you start out at this game you will lose a few! But it gets better as you go. I got my mould from France - http://www.bricoleurre.com
You can get relatively inexpensive leadheads from the tackle shops as well. They are not the branded ones but more like homemade. Some of the branded ones are lovely but expensive to be loosing regularly.

A mix of soft plastics? The Hart Absolut worm is good (sort of xlayer copy and ½ the price) The Hart Leech is good too. There literally are hundreds of different types of SP’s . Any tackle shop that deals with Dennetts in the North should now be able to source Illex gear as dennetts are the distributors. Illex have a fab range of plastics – both expensive and reasonable. You can check their catalogue online here http://www.illex.fr/en/index.html . From page 58 -60 you’ll find the NITRO range. These are all good and are well priced. As I say if your local dealer deals with Dennetts they will be able to get these for you. There are loads of others – Sluggo, wave worms, Savegear sandeels and sandeel slugs and loads of other Savage gear stuff, Berkley Power bait – the list goes on & on….

Here’s the thing – nearly any soft plastic will catch fish on any given day. The game is to swap lures and experiment to find what works best. I wouldn’t go throwing expensive SP’s at pollack, cod or wrasse. I save them for bass! You will develop favourites as you go. There’s so much you can do and so much possibilities for craic!