SOUTH COAST COD 2018 reports

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:29 pm

Locked the one in the Q&A forum

Moving it over here where will only the registered members can view your posts.

Re: SOUTH COAST COD 2018 reports

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:39 pm

fish r man wrote:Was out on the Waterford estuary today,3 fish 38,49&50cm.fishing was slow.

Rod Tips wrote:I fished the Waterford estuary over the bank holiday weekend in the hope of a codling! But not for me unfortunately. Saturday night from an hour before high water and all the way down. NO FISH! Plenty of frenzied small nibbles all night long. I changed my hook size to the smallest I had (size 3) but couldn't land anything, except the odd crab. It got very cold as the night went on. Sunday I fished from 4 hours before highwater and 2 hours down. Not as much action as the night before. I was joined by 3 other anglers. One gentleman had a very small codling and a small whiting, another gentleman had a small dab, ( they were using peelers and lugworms).the anglers were using size 4 hooks and smaller ( scratching) I stayed on after they left. I was rewarded with a nice Flounder of 32 cm. Ifished Duncannon beach and pier, into the channel. Bait used were squid, sandeel and mackerel ( flounder caught on sandeel section)
I had conversations with anglers there and codling seem to be scarce, The Burroughs in Kilmore Quay, youghal and Waterford quay producing codling of 2 to 2.5 pounds, but no great numbers reported.

https://lh3.googleusercontent.com/0EnjJ ... HKgsl7NXWC

bonobass wrote:Hi lads, fished Garryvoe last night got 2 cod around 19" ,loads of bites and reeled in a few rockling as well, first time fishing there conditions were tough with onshore winds and strong tide, so was well pleased haven't been out in quite a while .also it was my first cod(s) gave a good account of itself while reeling it in convinced myself it must be a conger but luck had it so it wasn't to be thankfully Image

Sent from my VFD 720 using Tapatalk

Thu Nov 01, 2018 2:48 pm

Fished Youghal beach last night from about two hours after low water. dogs, coalfish, small cod and about 20 whiting 10 keepers over 33cm

REPORTS of cod caught at the Carpets also last night at the start of the flood 8) :D

Fri Nov 02, 2018 9:05 pm

I'm going to fish Ferrypoint tomorrow night- low tide is at 20.30. is it best to fish straight out off the end of the point towards Youghal or on the beach that faces out to sea?

Sat Nov 03, 2018 8:16 am

If you are there before low water and no one else is there then fish left hand side, go up to the right to cast and let the tide bring it back down. The rain overnight might make it hard going. If so then go around the corner and fish on the left of the mussel bed that will keep you out of the fast water.
Fishing on the flood, again if you are there on your own, fish the right hand corner and go down to the left to cast again letting the tide bring the lead back up to you.
This system will give your bait more time in the water. I've caught plenty of cod before the lead got back up to me.

The stone beach is shallow at low water and would fish fine for flounder. I normally would not fish it for round fish until at least 3 hours after low. On the flood fish to the left of the cottage as any nearer to the corner and you will find the tide pulling you lead to the right.

Sun Nov 04, 2018 11:22 pm

A few big ones around 6.8Lb

IMG_2769.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 10:35 am

Tried a few casts friday on the filling tide @ ferrypoint. Fished the last 2 hours of the fill with frozen squid and lug. Blanked! Bait was immediately ravaged by crabs :evil: :evil:

Mon Nov 05, 2018 1:14 pm

Paddy002 wrote:Tried a few casts friday on the filling tide @ ferrypoint. Fished the last 2 hours of the fill with frozen squid and lug. Blanked! Bait was immediately ravaged by crabs :evil: :evil:

Squid would not be on my lists of baits to use fishing for cod.

Mon Nov 05, 2018 2:51 pm

wouldnt be on mine either but "the boss" was burning the ear off me telling me to get it out of the freezer!!

Tue Nov 06, 2018 8:24 pm

donal domeney wrote:A few big ones around 6.8Lb

IMG_2769.jpg

Absolutely beautiful Cod!!!!!

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:01 am

Good fresh cod just in from the open water. Had two more up the river and you can see the difference between the fresh cod and a cod that has been in the river a few days or more.

kelp cod.jpg

Lost a serious fish, had to pump and reel it in the whole way even had to stop 2/3 times because I could not get it to move, failed to lift it up through the weed in front of me. Broke off on a 20lb snood. :oops:
I should read more of my own posts viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46933
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Wed Nov 07, 2018 10:12 am

looks like there in so hope they stay a while so I can get there to take my share of them.
mickser

Thu Nov 08, 2018 12:28 am

donal domeney wrote:Good fresh cod just in from the open water. Had two more up the river and you can see the difference between the fresh cod and a cod that has been in the river a few days or more.

kelp cod.jpg

Lost a serious fish, had to pump and reel it in the whole way even had to stop 2/3 times because I could not get it to move, failed to lift it up through the weed in front of me. Broke off on a 20lb snood. :oops:
I should read more of my own posts viewtopic.php?f=6&t=46933

Donal, excellent report, and very aspiring. Could you inform me please? Is the difference in colouration due to the change in terrain or the change in diet? Fascinating stuff!
Thanks
Rod Tips

Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:00 am

Change of terrain mostly. I find once they enter the river they tend to stay in there to feed and the skin colour gets a lot paler.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:47 am

Thanks Donal, very interesting, any difference in taste? Fresh versus river caught? Thanks again

Fri Nov 09, 2018 12:44 pm

carpets
seems they have closed it again due to the rubbish was open yesterday to accomadate tarmacing at new aldi store interesting to see if it stays open when tarmacing is finished. anyone notticed if its open today ?

Fri Nov 09, 2018 9:22 pm

Rod Tips wrote:Thanks Donal, very interesting, any difference in taste? Fresh versus river caught? Thanks again

Couldn't say cod, would not be on the menu. The worms/parasites in the flesh have turned me off them.

Fri Nov 09, 2018 10:37 pm

Yuck! I have bought cod from a well known Irish Supermarket before, and found lice in the flesh too. Thanks for the information.
Cheers.

Sun Nov 11, 2018 8:15 pm

Most white fish will have worms ,if your keeping a fish gut it straight away ,the worms will leave the guts and enter the flesh after the fish dies ,so the longer you leave the fish the more time the worms have,just hold the fillets up to the light and pick them out ,ask any fish monger cod worms are normal ,worms won't do you any harm though if you eat one by accident

Mon Nov 12, 2018 1:48 pm

Few showing in waterford estuary along with flounder saturday night