Casting help

Tue Aug 10, 2010 2:03 pm

Hey folks.

Just a few questions if ya could help. Ive been fishing the last few months just using the over the shoulder thump and off the ground but wanna get more distance. A lot of people have told me its not nessesary as the fish are in close enough but Id like to know I could cast further if needs be.

First of all could anyone recommend me an affordable fixed spool rod and reel for distance casting but will also fish well if a big fella is hooked? Im thinking of buying the penn power stick pro surf at the weekend (after my crappy grauvell snapped!) and I use a shimano aerlex 7000 reel. My reel is loaded with 50lb braid / 60lb shock leader casting 5/6oz leads.

Is a multiplier nessesary for distance and will it win over fixed spool any day? I want to start using one but am a bit nervous of messin it up.

I have watched dozens of videos online on pendulum casting and I need to get out and start practising. Is there anyone on here from Dublin that do lessons on casting or wouldnt mind me taggin along to a practise session to get some pointers. Ill give them a few bob no worries.

Thanks lads and all advice appreciated,

Jay.

Re: Casting help

Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:17 pm

Sportscast Ireland's next club meet is on the 29th Aug, why not come along? bring your gear and get stuck in...Its only E10 for daycasters, all the advice you will need will be on hand.

If you give Paul Mason a shout on here im sure he can fill you in on decent fixed spool gear to be using, he is a ledgend on the mangles! Id highly recomend the Ian Golds Extractor or International Match, cracking rods at a very affordable price and already proven them selves on the court.

Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:33 pm

Jay, sports cast Ireland..... no better lads to sort you out with all aspects of casting,well worth the trip up to an event
bite the bullet and head up,increased distance allmost guarenteed,a word of advice.............its highly addictive ! :lol:

Tue Aug 10, 2010 3:37 pm

Thanks lads will deffo try get along if im free. Anymore details? Location? Do I have to book a place? Contact anyone? What do i bring? Rod, Reel and leads obviously but anything else?

Tue Aug 10, 2010 4:41 pm

I'm on the north-side and i can sort you out with a few lessons no problem and i can let you have a look at some of the rods I have for fixed spool. To be honest the fixed spool is not far behind the multiplier on the fishing end of things and is a lot less hassel especially at night, don't mind them non believers they just never came to terms with the fixed spool. I have used one all my life and the fixed spool was never found wanting in any fishing conditions.

Wed Aug 11, 2010 7:52 am

Jayball10 wrote:Thanks lads will deffo try get along if im free. Anymore details? 10am start Location? http://www.hilltopshootingsports.com/ma ... e=location Do I have to book a place? No Contact anyone? you just have What do i bring? Rod, yes Reel bring a few and leads obviously Club leads can be bought up there but anything else? Plenty of line and shockleader

if your stuck for anything just give me a shout

Fri Sep 03, 2010 9:41 pm

dont forget the deep heat and elastic bandages :mrgreen:

Mon Sep 06, 2010 11:43 pm

I also need some help with my casting. Just watched the results video from Aug29th and it show just how much help I need. :shock: .
As a rule of thumb , to get greater distance should you have your weight hanging loose or tight to the top of the rod? If its loose I might have to get a crash helmet to help get the hang of it!

Using a ron Thomson 10 ft beach rod and 4-6 oz lead with (cheap) spinning reel - and making bout 30yds. :oops:

When is the next casting meet/lessons in / round the Dublin area

Any help/advice/ recommendations gladly appreciated.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 1:38 pm

Do not cast 4 or 6oz leads with that rod first of all. 2-3oz will be far better. Have the lead hanging about half way down the rod and just start casting nice and slowly until you get a feel for what the rod and lead are doing.
Keep doing that with the lighter leads and you'll add plenty more distance to your current style.

Check out some Overhead thump vids on Youtube.

Tue Sep 07, 2010 10:28 pm

Thank for the tip - I'll give that a shot and see how I go.

You might see me joining the U tube hall of shame in the next couple of weeks! :D

Sat Nov 06, 2010 8:19 pm

Hi Jay,
Nice to meet you today, hope the body is okay. Would you remind me which exact rod and reel version you were using. I had good crack and hope you enjoyed the day.
\Paul
(I know you are probably gearing up for the XFactor now, enjoy :)

Sat Nov 06, 2010 10:25 pm

pnoble wrote:Hi Jay,
Nice to meet you today, hope the body is okay. Would you remind me which exact rod and reel version you were using. I had good crack and hope you enjoyed the day.
\Paul
(I know you are probably gearing up for the XFactor now, enjoy :)

Yeh thanks again Paul. Had great craic. All wise words taken onboard. The aul body is starting to ache alright but will soldier on and head out for those few scoops. The gear I brought was my Penn stuff. 13ft powerstix with a 525 mag xtra.

I don't think Ive ever seen an episode of X-Factor and I never intend too! I'm more of a Corrie kinda guy.... :)

Thanks again,

Jay.

P.S. Hope those vampires didnt get ya in the end? Shouldn't of with those garlic spuds! :lol: