OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

ROSGUILL, DOWNINGS - 22nd August 2005

Postby JGF » Mon Aug 22, 2005 11:10 pm

People: Myself & 2 Dutch anglers

Duration: 10:45am - 6:45pm

Weather: Breezy with some sun

Bait: Live mackerel / baited Hokkai's

Rigs: Shark traces

Results: 2 Blue Sharks (1 boated - 80+lbs, 1 bit trace before we could tail it), countless Doggies, few ling, red gurnard.

Report: Got out with Michael McVeigh as he had plenty of room on the boat due to a long-term booking of only 2 dutch regulars.

Late decision was made to fish for blue shark as the Downings Shark Festival started today so we though why not, as there had been a few taken on the previous 2 days.

First run was about 2pm on my rod, and after a fight of about 20mins the shark was beside the boat - smallish size anywhere between 35-45lb. Unfortunately i had a trace more suited to Porbeagle fishing and the wire trace wasn't long enough so before we got the shark tailed it managed to bite through the 150lb mono on the other end of the trace! I'll still claim it was ours as the leader was touched before parting!

Second run was almost at the end of the day, Willem one of the Dutch pair struck into a better fish, and spent the next 61 mins fighting to land it - for 30 mins we were all worried he would lose the battle as his braid showed signs of having frayed where the makeshift 'float' (empty milk carton!) had been moving in the tide.

The fish was eventually landed tagged & measured and estimates put it beyond 80lb more likely closer to the 90lb mark.

This was Rosguill's first day after Blues and not a bad way to begin.

[img]http://www.ahoghillgaa.com/misc_photos/sm-blue-220805.jpg[/img]
JGF
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby phenwick mist » Tue Aug 23, 2005 9:57 pm

just out of interest where were you fishing for the blues and where and on what did you hook the porbeagle. I'm out in my own boat weather permitting at portnablagh this weekend with tanglerat. also did you hear any tuna news?
cheers, mark.
phenwick mist

Postby arthurg » Thu Aug 25, 2005 9:37 am

Well done John - nice fish ....................... and a cracking photo of the Seagull. I'm impressed how you managed to frame it between the boat and the handrail. Oh aye, and yon wee Spurdog on the engine cover isn't bad either! And Michael asked if you could get the whole of the name 'Rosguill' in the frame next time.

....................... See how good the fishing can be when you take the wee plastic tube hook covers off the hook on the Shad!!!!

Is there a wee story there folks? Would I wind anyone up? Did JGF fish away on the Enterprise using Shads with the plastic cover still on the Shad? Did he still manage to catch three suicidal Coalies using this "system"?

I couldn't possibly tell you - he'd be embarrassed!
arthurg

Postby Ronald » Thu Aug 25, 2005 10:42 am

hey arthur take it was you doing the diving of the boat the other weekend from the enterprise :lol: 10 out of 10 for artistic impression from what i heard .
Ronald

Postby JGF » Thu Aug 25, 2005 1:11 pm

Good man Ronald - there was me biting my tongue not wanting to say anything - so i'm glad someone beat me to it!

Arthur - remember that tying up the mooring ropes are a man's job!
JGF
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby Ronald » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:08 pm

k2 to thank for that one ,he just didn't want to say anything .
small country to try and keep secerets :lol: :lol: :lol:
Ronald

Postby Drew » Thu Aug 25, 2005 4:10 pm

arthurg wrote:Well done John - nice fish ....................... and a cracking photo of the Seagull. I'm impressed how you managed to frame it between the boat and the handrail. Oh aye, and yon wee Spurdog on the engine cover isn't bad either! And Michael asked if you could get the whole of the name 'Rosguill' in the frame next time.

....................... See how good the fishing can be when you take the wee plastic tube hook covers off the hook on the Shad!!!!

Is there a wee story there folks? Would I wind anyone up? Did JGF fish away on the Enterprise using Shads with the plastic cover still on the Shad? Did he still manage to catch three suicidal Coalies using this "system"?

I couldn't possibly tell you - he'd be embarrassed!

:lol: :lol: :lol: :lol:
Arthur went Diving!!!!!!!!
2015 Lure: Pollack, Herring, Whiting, Sand Goby, Poor Cod, Pouting

42 Species to beat 2011 & 2014
Drew
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 101 times

Postby arthurg » Fri Aug 26, 2005 11:44 am

On a serious note here folks, there really has to be something done about the pontoon at Rathmullen pier - it is extremely dangerous.

For a start it is right beside the water - now is that not asking for trouble! It should be relocated up in the car park so that if you fall off then at least you are not in danger of drowning!

......................... I'm laughing away at myself here again just thinking about it. I wish someone had videod it as it was quite possibly the single most stupid episode that I have witnessed ...................... and I had a close-up view of the whole thing!

OK, here's the full story for anyone who doesn't yet know ............... and if you are that one person, where have you been?

Last Sunday we (me & Hugo) were due to fish the Bundoran competition. In case Mackerel were in short supply, I had asked Angela (aka Roger, the Enterprise cabin boy) if she would stop on the way home on Saturday and pick me up some fresh ones. She readily agreed.

On Saturday morning Hugo, a non-fishing friend Jimmy and I went into Letterkenny to watch the football which started early. I got plastered. Following the debacle ................. sorry, game, we headed off to Rathmullen to await the Enterprise ............... or was it the Explorer - I was that bad I cannot even remember, coming in with our Mackerel. We were over an hour early, so needless-to-say we went into the Beachcomber for a few more. There was absolutely no point to these as I was full already, but being the glutton I am, I kept going.

At about 5:30p.m. the boat came round the pier and I decided to meander (well, 'stagger' actually) down to get the bait. I arrived at the pontoon just as the boat was coming alongside. Usually there is a guy who works at the pontoon and helps the boats mooring, takes the fees from visiting boats, etc. Last Saturday there was a particularly good looking young girl who I imagined was about 20 doing the job. She stood there ready to catch the ropes from the boat. Being chivalrous (or maybe 'chauvanistic') as ever I said "Move over there a bit young girl, this is no job for a wimmin!" She somewhat grudgingly moved aside and left me to catch the ropes and pull the boat in.

Drunk and all as I was, I certainly did catch the rope, but as the boat moved away a bit I forgot to let some go and got pulled unceremoniously into the sea.

I was shamed.

Fortunately, I simply swam back to the pontoon and waited for You Jean to pull me out. Now it is times like that when you wonder if someone who you wind up week in week out will actually save you, but fair play to You Jean and Roger, they did indeed pull me out to write another day.

I was, quite obviously, wringin'. Like a drookit dug. I took my top off and wandered up towards the crowd assembled outside the White Harte where Hugo had parked his car. I remembered that he had been close to being flung out the week before by his good wife who doesn't understand him (or indeed I) and looked in his boot. Sure enough, his bags had indeed been packed. Quite shamelessly, I stripped off and changed into his clothes at the side of the car right in front of Mary's. What a bollocking she'll give me the next time I'm down! (She worries about me you know!)

Anyway - there it is in all its glory. My shame in full. Laugh away - Jimmy reckons he'll get a good 30 years worth out of the story! But as I say, it wasn't really my fault - there's no way yon pontoon would pass a risk assessment. It is far too close to the water!
arthurg

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports