Cahore, 25th April

Sat Apr 25, 2015 5:50 pm

tope 2015.jpg
With the weather set to deteriorate as the day went on, myself and Phil set out this morning to try and snatch a couple of hours fishing, and to get the measure of the new boat. Conditions were lovely as we steamed south, with a SW breeze and some sunshine. We anchored up on one of my favourite marks, and set a couple of Tope rods out. We then set out a couple of 6-12lb rods with smaller baits for a bit of scratching. Murphy and his dreaded law bit us in the ass, as a Tope snatched my smaller offering on a 2/0 hook and 50lbs mono hooklength. I tried to keep it on a short leash as I kept the heat on it, knowing that it was only a matter of time before I'd be broken off. The Tope had other ideas, and we played tug of war for quite a while before I got him to the boat. Phil reached out and grabbed the leader (considered a bonafide catch by some) and as he went to grab a fin, PING, the hook broke off and away went our Tope, a male of about 30lbs. We then had a couple of doggies on the small rods, before I had another Tope run on the 'proper' rod. This one also put up a spirited fight, and in the time it took for me to land it, the wind swung around from SW to NNE and started blowing hard. We released the fish, hauled anchor and began the arduous journey back, 7 miles of getting properly beaten up. Nice to get a couple of Tope at the 1st attempt this year, and testing conditions in which to guage the boats capability. Certainly not conditions I would choose to be out in, but she handled it like a champ. Looking forward to getting out again soon . . . when the weather settles.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cahore, 25th April

Sat Apr 25, 2015 6:48 pm

Well done on the tope

Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:03 pm

Nice one good to see some fish starting to move in

Sat Apr 25, 2015 8:04 pm

Nice one good to see some fish starting to move in

Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:04 pm

Nice fishing you have to take your opportunities when you get them. :D New boat did her job, what did you get?

Yappo

Sun Apr 26, 2015 1:36 pm

Merry Fisher 585 Marlin

Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:19 pm

Merry Fisher 585 Marlin

Nice boat good luck with her, I'm sure lots of nice fish will cross the gunnels. :D

Yappo

Sun Apr 26, 2015 7:33 pm

Thanks Yappo, I sure hope so!

Mon Apr 27, 2015 7:59 am

Well done nice fishing.

Tue Apr 28, 2015 11:10 am

nice one rob. I may give you a shout in a week or two when i'm down

Tue Apr 28, 2015 9:59 pm

Great to see Tope about already. Well done.

Wed Apr 29, 2015 7:03 pm

good man Rob! nice fish to christen the new boat with 8)