Hook head rock mark

Mon Jul 27, 2020 10:13 pm

Managed to get out today for a few casts on a rock mark near hook head. The wind was brutal and the weed even worse! Unfortunately no fish were caught today. To make things even worse I lost the top half of my relatively new spinning rod. My hook got caught on the rocks directly below me, the swell was way to big to think about going down and getting it back my self, so tried pulling it up, the line broke and took the top half of my rod with it! For most people the sport we enjoy is called fishing, for the lucky ones it’s called catching, but unfortunately for me today it was called loosing! Hopefully next time the fish of a lifetime will be landed!

Re: Hook head rock mark

Mon Jul 27, 2020 11:17 pm

Hard luck Sharky, the worst is losing or damaging a rod, I took out an eye today with my car door lol

Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:06 am

On the bright side, you get to buy a new rod

Tue Jul 28, 2020 12:33 pm

What type of rod was it I have a few lying around that might suit ?
mickser

Tue Jul 28, 2020 2:39 pm

Tough day at the office, we've all had em... :cry:
Can see why they call the hook a tackle graveyard.
Keep her lit.

Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:16 pm

Sharky Shark wrote:Managed to get out today for a few casts on a rock mark near hook head. The wind was brutal and the weed even worse! Unfortunately no fish were caught today. To make things even worse I lost the top half of my relatively new spinning rod. My hook got caught on the rocks directly below me, the swell was way to big to think about going down and getting it back my self, so tried pulling it up, the line broke and took the top half of my rod with it! For most people the sport we enjoy is called fishing, for the lucky ones it’s called catching, but unfortunately for me today it was called loosing! Hopefully next time the fish of a lifetime will be landed!

Not trying to be smart or anything but if you snag up and need to pull for a break, keep the rod pointed straight at the snag tighten up the drag and pull slowly. Good idea to turn your head the other way in case the lure comes pinging back at speed. Even better is to wrap the line around a stick and use it to pull as it takes the pressure off the reel. You may already know this and just had an awkward angle to deal with. Just thought I'd mention it.

Tue Jul 28, 2020 3:17 pm

Hard luck by the way. Had days like that myself. Wrecks your head. You'll be due a dose of good luck now

Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:51 pm

Gonzo wrote:Hard luck Sharky, the worst is losing or damaging a rod, I took out an eye today with my car door lol

Ah Gonzo sorry to hear that! It’s a kick in the stones alright! The worst one I had was out on the Isle of Wight, I got to the fishing shop 2 mins before it closed on the Sat eve and bought a rod. It snapped in 2 on my 1st cast! The shop was closed on the Sunday and I had to leave at 8am on the Monday morning!

Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:53 pm

Go Big or Go Home wrote:On the bright side, you get to buy a new rod

Glass half full! I got one today!

Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:56 pm

mickser wrote:What type of rod was it I have a few lying around that might suit ?
mickser

Thanks Mickser that’s dead sound of ya. It was a Shimano vengeance BX sea bass 240MH spinning rod.
I bought a new spinning rod today thanks so don’t be worrying!

Tue Jul 28, 2020 7:57 pm

MONKEYwrasse wrote:Tough day at the office, we've all had em... :cry:
Can see why they call the hook a tackle graveyard.
Keep her lit.

Cheers Monkey wrasse! I have lost a small fortune around the hook!

Tue Jul 28, 2020 8:01 pm

daveyboy wrote:
Sharky Shark wrote:Managed to get out today for a few casts on a rock mark near hook head. The wind was brutal and the weed even worse! Unfortunately no fish were caught today. To make things even worse I lost the top half of my relatively new spinning rod. My hook got caught on the rocks directly below me, the swell was way to big to think about going down and getting it back my self, so tried pulling it up, the line broke and took the top half of my rod with it! For most people the sport we enjoy is called fishing, for the lucky ones it’s called catching, but unfortunately for me today it was called loosing! Hopefully next time the fish of a lifetime will be landed!

Not trying to be smart or anything but if you snag up and need to pull for a break, keep the rod pointed straight at the snag tighten up the drag and pull slowly. Good idea to turn your head the other way in case the lure comes pinging back at speed. Even better is to wrap the line around a stick and use it to pull as it takes the pressure off the reel. You may already know this and just had an awkward angle to deal with. Just thought I'd mention it.

Thanks Daveyboy, it was an awkward angle alright! I kinda instinctively know what you were saying, however didn’t think about the stick part to ease the pressure on the reel. Thanks again!