DLSR

Forum to discuss the use of cameras and photographic techniques when you record your catch.

Moderators: JimC, MAC

DLSR

Postby round_ourway » Mon Sep 15, 2008 11:46 am

I have a point and shoot camera , but going to take a jump into the slr world and just wondering what is a decent camera for the price. Got my eye on the Nikon D60 and the canon 450. cheers stevie
Boca Bearings .com - Orange Seal

Practice the Impossible
round_ourway
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 24 times

Re: DLSR

Postby mickmick » Mon Sep 15, 2008 3:41 pm

I've had the nikon D40x for 6 months and it's great. A friend has the D60, which replaced the D40x, and he's more than happy with it. The sports mode is great for getting shots of fighting fish. It's hard to beat Nikon lenses
mickmick
SAI Bait Ball

Postby Davy Murdoch » Tue Sep 16, 2008 5:49 pm

have the canon 400d and its dead on and easy to use to i would imagine the 450d will be a good buy
Davy Murdoch
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 45 times

Postby JimC » Tue Sep 16, 2008 8:59 pm

Can't complain with my Sony Alpha 100 :D
JimC

Have thanks: 922 times

Postby countryjimbo » Wed Sep 17, 2008 1:41 pm

Round_ourway wrote:I have a point and shoot camera , but going to take a jump into the slr world and just wondering what is a decent camera for the price. Got my eye on the Nikon D60 and the canon 450. cheers stevie

Hi Stevie,

Both of these camera's are pretty good, you'll get excellent results with either. At the end of the day its down to personal choice. Here's a useful debate that might help you choose
http://forums.dpreview.com/forums/read. ... e=27175665

There are other options and you'll probably get any amount of these. The best advise I can give you is to consider lenses as well, these have a big part to play. Most DSLR's take decent photo's once you have the right lens.

Regards, James.
If people concentrated on the really important things in life, there'd be a shortage of fishing rods.
countryjimbo
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby round_ourway » Wed Sep 17, 2008 2:42 pm

cheers lads. I decicded on the D60 and currently ordered one there. should be arriving in the next couple of days. It looks and feels the business.

Practice the Impossible
round_ourway
SAI Megalodon!

Postby kinsebr » Wed Sep 17, 2008 7:24 pm

The D60 is a great camera, I use the D80 myself, there's not much difference. I would definately recommend getting some filters, Polarized filters for shots of fish in the sea are great. Also, for lovely landscape pics, sunrise or set on the beach, pick up an ND grad filter . A 2 stop should cover you for a lot of situations in the short term. You will be amazed at the difference in depth and colour you can get in the sky with one of these filter. However, photoshop can do a pretty good job also. You can get a hard edged one if your horizon is fairly flat, such as the sea, however, if you have rocks or anything else uneven on the horizon, you would be better with a soft edged filter.

Have fun with it, the possibilties are endless!! :)
kinsebr
SAI Bait Ball

Postby MAC » Thu Sep 18, 2008 11:06 am

kinsebr wrote:The D60 is a great camera, I use the D80 myself, there's not much difference. I would definately recommend getting some filters, Polarized filters for shots of fish in the sea are great. Also, for lovely landscape pics, sunrise or set on the beach, pick up an ND grad filter . A 2 stop should cover you for a lot of situations in the short term. You will be amazed at the difference in depth and colour you can get in the sky with one of these filter. However, photoshop can do a pretty good job also. You can get a hard edged one if your horizon is fairly flat, such as the sea, however, if you have rocks or anything else uneven on the horizon, you would be better with a soft edged filter.

Have fun with it, the possibilties are endless!! :)

Couldn't agree more...
Get a Circular Polarizer and some Graduated filters.

Get your filters here www.formatt.co.uk Get the grad kit.... Get the 85mm set. Then get yourself a Cokin filter holder off Ebay... €100 quid should see you well set up.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby round_ourway » Thu Sep 18, 2008 5:36 pm

cheers lads, all info appreciated

Practice the Impossible
round_ourway
SAI Megalodon!

Postby round_ourway » Fri Sep 26, 2008 12:28 pm

Just to update I got the D60 and I have to admit I'm impressed at this wee gem. I have been exploring the various effects the variables create. Its alot to come to terms. You can now find the camera coming out in every location and changing the shutter speeds, aperature levels, flash levels. .. .. etc. The VR Lense Is amazing and I'd say its doing a lot of work but I still need a tripod for the those longer shutter speeds.
I ordered those filters and I have been informed that they have arrived today.
I will try and get some pictures at the weekend that show the quality it can produce. . lol. well i will take pictures anyway.

Mac are you a professional photographer

Practice the Impossible
round_ourway
SAI Megalodon!

Postby teacher » Fri Sep 26, 2008 1:45 pm

Dad's using a Nikon and seems very pleased with it. He does mainly landscape and seascape. Few photos on his gallery (taken with various cameras) ...

http://www.ndukes.net
"Pier fishing was, indeed, an eccentric, unproductive and extremely dull occupation, and even if we'd posessed the necessary heavy plant we decided not to attempt it." Chris Yates, Out of the Blue.
teacher
SAI Megalodon!

Postby round_ourway » Wed Oct 01, 2008 3:28 pm

Your dad's pictures are class sir, Thats the kind of pictures I wana be taken!

Practice the Impossible
round_ourway
SAI Megalodon!

Postby MAC » Mon Oct 06, 2008 11:28 am

Round_ourway wrote:
Mac are you a professional photographer

I wish mate...I wouldn't be sat here in the office on this glum Monday morning if I was. The wife has a Family Portrait Studio in Dunshaughlin, Co Meath

I am a keen amature, mostly landscape stuff, but have done a a good bit of portrait stuff including a couple of weddings. I'll put a post up for the use of the filters this evening if I get some time...

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC
SAC Treasurer

Have thanks: 178 times

Postby round_ourway » Mon Oct 06, 2008 12:13 pm

good man thanks kev. got a couple of books to try and get the grips with the camera but its really trail and error at the minute with taking a dander in different light scenarios and which way i think the light should look like. I took the camera with me on saturday fishing and got a couple of pictures I thought look ok. I will try and post some up for ya to have a look at if you wouldnt mind casting a wee eye over them and telling how they look. cheers stevie

Practice the Impossible
round_ourway
SAI Megalodon!

Postby MAC » Mon Oct 06, 2008 9:27 pm

Ho Hassle Mate.

Kev
><º> ><º>

><º>
MAC