Tactics for late season bass

Sat Oct 06, 2012 7:09 pm

Hey lads just hoping some of you might be able to advise me on what tactics to use when lure fishing for bass at this time of year? I fish around Dublin looking for shallow rough ground and fishing it over high tide. I only ever use shallow divers really...thunderstick and feed shallow. Only ever seem to catch a few each summer (mainly on the feed shallow) although I did get one on a Patchinko last year. Wondering would I be better off using soft plastics at this time of year? If so could anyone recomend some that would work well with my set up?,,,10-40 gm bushwhacker, shimano 4000 and 20 lb braid.
Thanks

Re: Tactics for late season Bass

Sun Oct 07, 2012 8:10 am

Hi Daveyboy,

I picked up some nice soft plastics called Illex I shads in henry's in dublin. With the set up you have you can fish them weightless.

Best of luck

Wobbie

Sun Oct 07, 2012 10:50 am

Cheers Wobbie. might try them out. Do you fish them weedless?

Sat Oct 13, 2012 4:02 pm

Dave, you should try the savage gear sandeels or the new black minnows( these are rigged weedless). Southside have them both in stock .......

Sun Oct 14, 2012 1:09 pm

Dave

Feed shallow is as good as any at this time of year - keep the retrieve as even as possible and take it slow - alternatively switch to a shad type lure up to six inches or more - this is the best time of year for bigger fish and with the current conditions out there anything is possible!

Sun Oct 14, 2012 6:17 pm

Many thanks all for the replies.

Mon Oct 15, 2012 12:42 pm

On the topic of late season, how long will u get bass on lures into the autumn?

Mon Oct 15, 2012 1:49 pm

ATF wrote:On the topic of late season, how long will u get Bass on lures into the autumn?

http://absolutefishingireland.blogspot.ie/

Mon Oct 15, 2012 8:31 pm

bass can be caught on lures well into autumn and beyond particularly in shallow water as the lure is never too far from the fish anyway.things tend to slow down faster on the deepwater marks .a mild winter obviously helps but the months between september and december can often be the most produvtive .

Mon Oct 15, 2012 9:04 pm

sandblaster wrote:Bass can be caught on lures well into autumn and beyond particularly in shallow water as the lure is never too far from the fish anyway.things tend to slow down faster on the deepwater marks .a mild winter obviously helps but the months between september and december can often be the most produvtive .

Cheers Sandblaster. Would this apply in Dublin too or only further south? I haven't had any luck for a month now in conditions that seemed good but in saying that I don't catch consistently around here so it's hard to judge.

Fri Oct 26, 2012 6:06 pm

Daveyboy last year I had Dublin bass on lures in mid-Oct. The weather turned against me after that. I would also be interested to know how late in the year members have caught bass in Dublin.

I'm not after marks but just curious to see how late in the year Dublin lure anglers target (and still catch!) bass.

Sent from my GT-S5369 using Tapatalk 2