Cork Fishing Clubs ?

Mon Aug 09, 2004 7:33 pm

I am enquiring about how to join a Sea Angling Club anywhere from East Cork to West Cork . Keen Angler here and would really appreciate any help .

Cork Angling

Tue Aug 10, 2004 11:37 am

Your'e spoilt for choice.
Boat angling or shore?
Small boat or charter?
What specific area?

Cheers,
Jim.

Re: Cork Angling

Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:31 am

Jim from Cork wrote:Your'e spoilt for choice.
Boat angling or shore?
Small boat or charter?
What specific area?

Cheers,
Jim.

Hi Jim , At the moment I am just shore fishing , trying out different marks along the Cork coast . But wouldn't mind joining a club anywhere from east to west cork . Boat or Shore - doesn't matter . Tried to join 4 clubs by getting the club secretary address from a club listings website . Only got zero correspondance which was very disappointing .

Ryan

Angling Clubs

Thu Aug 12, 2004 9:51 am

Ryan,
Firstly check your profile and disable "notify me..." the replies should start showing up.

I'm more familiar with clubs in East Cork and Cork harbour. I'm sure you could join Guileen without much bother. Guileen do their fishing in East Cork. There's also Celtic, Anglesey, Carrigaline, Crosshaven and Bishopstown. I wouldn't be too familiar with West Cork Clubs. There is a club in Ring but they may be only boat. Call to the second pub as you go through Ring. They organised a competition recently for boats.

If you have a preference for a particular area I'm sure we'll get contact no.s etc for you.
Jim.

Re: Angling Clubs

Thu Aug 12, 2004 8:09 pm

Jim from Cork wrote:Ryan,
Firstly check your profile and disable "notify me..." the replies should start showing up.

I'm more familiar with clubs in East Cork and Cork harbour. I'm sure you could join Guileen without much bother. Guileen do their fishing in East Cork. There's also Celtic, Anglesey, Carrigaline, Crosshaven and Bishopstown. I wouldn't be too familiar with West Cork Clubs. There is a club in Ring but they may be only boat. Call to the second pub as you go through Ring. They organised a competition recently for boats.

If you have a preference for a particular area I'm sure we'll get contact no.s etc for you.
Jim.

Thanks for the advice Jim , the East Cork area sounds good as I live around Fermoy . But travelling is not a problem . A club with shore and boat fishing would be ideal (plenty of competitions aven better) . Any contact number would be really appreciated .

Ryan

Cork Clubs

Fri Aug 13, 2004 2:00 pm

I fish in a East Cork club and we are always on the look out for new members. Its Yougal Bass club and is totally shore based. Most competitions are held in the Youghal area, but we spread into Waterford and down as far as Ballycotton. A few members live or work in Fermoy.
I hope it was not our club that did not respond. We run competitions from Jan to Dec and have about four left this year. Our AGM is in Youghal early sept and last we had a recruitment drive which increased our members considerably. Our biggest turn out was 32 and lowest 8 this year but normally we would hope to have at least 15 people fishing ever competition.
Normally new members join in January, so I would have to check that you could fish competitions before then. But at least keep us in mind for Jan and it definatly would be no problem.

Please contact Thomas Maher (024 93356 or 087-7941533) at 8 O'Reilly Terrace Youghal Co. Cork.

Clubs

Sat Aug 14, 2004 11:45 pm

I knew you'd be spoilt for choice.
The Guileen club has both shore and boat sections. The boat section is run with small boats so it can be quite difficult to get a spin. The shore scene is pretty vibrant. You could give Derek a ring in the Guileen Arms (pub and tackle shop, what a combination. Have a pint while looking at the tackle!) 021-4661249. Ring him at night.
There is also the Cloyne club. The fish shore and boat. Their boat comps are generally fished out of Ballycotton on charter boats. Derek will be able to advise on a contact no.

I would point out that I'm not a member of any club myself.
Whichever you decide to run with enjoy!
Jim.