Dunmanus

Wed May 13, 2015 10:33 pm

Hello,

my first post here so be gentle... :D

I'm looking at hopping on the Pembroke-Rosslare ferry in mid-June and heading over to south Cork for a couple of weeks holiday with my girlfriend. At present I've seen a cottage up at the top end of Dunmanus Bay/Dunbeacon Harbour that I think might make a good base. We'd be bringing kayaks across (I know there's a seperate kayak forum, but thought this might get seen by more people here) and would be intending to paddle both at the top of the bay, but also at various other locations around the area on both the Dunmanus and Roaring Water bay sides.

the main question I have is - how far into the two bays does the swell penetrate? If it's big at Mizen Head does it die off once you get several miles up Dunmanus? I'm guessing it drops off a lot more in Roaring Water Bay with all the islands?

In a similar vein, is there a particular point or water depth where it goes from open coast species like pollack and wrasse, to estuary species like mullet? The charts seem to say that Dunmanus has a mud bottom once you get a few miles from the mouth, which I guess means there's not much tide and maybe not so good for pollack etc.?

My other question (sorry, going on a bit...) - in late June, apart from the usual suspects of Pollack/Bass/Wrasse/Macks what else would be around and worth trying for? Are there any tope/hounds, or good areas for ray/turbot? Not after specific marks, just reassurance that I'm not in completely the wrong place!

Thanks in advance,

Tim

Re: Dunmanus

Sat May 16, 2015 12:46 pm

Hi Tim, there's some great marks around Dunmanus for Bass, pollock & wrasse. Also Bullhuss but not heard of tope, or hounds being caught.

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

Fri Jun 12, 2015 5:37 pm

Cheers for that Codchaser.

Think I've looked at every possible photo on google earth, chart and every bit of bathy data from Infomar. Bought half a tackle shop of gear... Just hoping the weather is going to be kind and the fish are going to be hungry! :shock:

Sun Jun 14, 2015 8:59 am

Bet you didn't find this one. best to open it in a new tab.
http://maps.osi.ie/publicviewer/#V2,488116,543621,6,0