Electrics help needed

Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:00 pm

I'm having trouble with some of my electrics. I've lost power to some of my equipment. I've checked all the fuses i can find and this has not helped. Is there anybody around Cork that could take a look at my electrics.

Re: Electrics help needed

Wed Jun 03, 2009 11:44 pm

take out the fuses and give the ends a rub of sandpaper some times they can get a bit corroded and not connect properly,i have seen fuses that look OK but are gone check them with a multimeter to be sure also check any cable where they inter equipment or connectors to see if they look fared or kinked and look for any cable that looks flattened there might be a problem there
you can also get a tester to rub along the cable to see if there is a break
maybe some one in your local garage might be handy with wiring

Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:10 am

solid advise the gf....

It's not as tough as it seems. Just check the fuses as advised and make sure your connections are not exposed and oxidized. If they are, remake them off. Give those basics a go first and let us know if there are any more questions. If you feel this is too much, then no hassle, take it to you local mechanic ans they will be able to give everything the once over in about an hour.

Kev

Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:15 am

What kind of boat / engine is it? What's working and what's not?
Are you in Cork Harbour? If yes can you get the boat as far as Monkstown pier some day and I can take a quick peek at it for you :wink:

Thu Jun 04, 2009 12:29 am

Fair play to ye Mohawk. It can be daunting stuff for some.

Kev

Thu Jun 04, 2009 11:59 am

Thanks for the replies lads.
I've got 3 buttons side by side with fuses under each button. They are for the nav lights, anchor light and bilge pump. Only the nav lights work. When i swap around the fuses nothing changes. So i figure the fuses work. I think these 3 buttons are wired in series but i couldn't be sure.

As for the wiring, it all looks pretty good there.

The boat is a Mery nautic techan 540. It has a mercury 60hp four stroke.

Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:01 pm

hi
i think you should check the bulb in the anchor light as for the bilge pump you could try an run a tempory lead from the battery and connect it to the pump to chect if it works, if it does then you may have a problem with wiring or there is a level switch which may be stuck

Thu Jun 04, 2009 1:58 pm

if you can put up a photo of the under side of the switches,sounds like a minor problem

Thu Jun 04, 2009 2:59 pm

Thanks for all of the advice lads. I'll go out to the boat this evening and try to solve the problem.
I didn't try too much on sunday, i was afraid i might lose all power and not be able to start the engine.
Anyway thanks again and i'll keep ye posted.

Sat Jun 06, 2009 3:15 pm

Well lads. I finally made it out to the boat today. I decided to start at the battery and work up for there.
I found the problem almost straight away. A wire for the electronic's was loose and broke away as i touched it. I repaired and re-connected the wire and everything is working fine now.

Thanks again for all your help

Mon Jun 08, 2009 2:43 am

glad it was just a minor problem,good to hear you got it sorted