SAISAC Competition Report, North Beach Courtown, July 14th

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:22 pm

People: JD,JP,Gordy,David,Donal,Don,Keith Murphy,Ian,Gareth

Duration: 8pm-1am

Tide: None to speak of (Courtown Neap). JP reported a good flow at range!

Weather: Pleasant enough, north-westerly

Bait: Crab, also sand eels, lug , rag etc

Rigs: Clip downs and flappers

Results:
Hounds, Dogs, Flounder, Dabs, Gurnard, Plaice, Whiting

Place	Peg	Name 		Fish	Total	Ma Points

1 9 JP Molloy 23 966 30
2 1 Gordon Hardman 11 436 29
3 10 Keith Murphy 10 425 28
4 6 John Diamond 11 405 27
5 11 Gareth Flynn 9 398 26
6 2 Donal O'Neill 10 364 25
7 3 Ian Bonney 8 297 24
8 7 Donal Domeney 8 290 23
9 4 David Costello 6 268 22

Pools
Biggest Animal : Keith Murphy - Hound 95cm
Biggest Round : Gareth Flynn - Whiting 21cm
Biggest Flat : Gordon Hardman - Flounder 26cm

Report:
The plan was to pick a Wexford Beach that had been showing hounds recently, and reports around Ballyhealy had not been great. Given that some members in Dublin had work on Saturday, we decided to meet up in Courtown and fish a local beach. There was one wee problem - getting fresh crab with the neap tides. In the end I made do with frozen, as did most of the rest of the lads. Arriving in Courtown, I decided to check the end of the beach near the river and forest. Plenty of beach to fish with, and having discussed it with Donal and JP we decided that was where we fish.

Peg draw completed, we headed off to the beach. I baited up a clipdown with two crab and a sand eel, and when Donal gave the whistle out it went.

courtownleft.jpg

donalcourtown.jpg

It wasn’t long before some of the lads had picked up hounds, with Ian, Dave and JP(!!) getting their first hounds ever.
jphound.jpg

davehound.jpg

Nothing for me, not even a rattle. I saw Ian getting a pup from close in, so I tried a flapper with 2 ragworm and a crab close in for one of them. It didn’t work..

smallhound.jpg

Darkness came and with that the dogs. They were quite close in too. I gradually got into some fish, getting a small hound and a few whiting too. However it was obvious that JP was running away with it and when the shout came for lines up he had twice as many fish as anyone else. Second place was close, with just one fish between the next four. In the end, well done to Gordy, who is having a good run lately.

store_logo.png

Thanks again to Henry's Tackle, who are sponsoring all our competitions.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: SAISAC Competition Report, North Beach Courtown, July 14th

Mon Jul 16, 2012 9:39 pm

Even though it was last. It was a great night fishing. I think we need to operate a handicap for jp et al for the next hound comp. :-)
Last edited by DavidCostello on Tue Jul 17, 2012 3:16 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Mon Jul 16, 2012 10:30 pm

DavidCostello wrote:Even though i was last. It was a great night fishing. I thing we need to operate a handicap for jp et al for the next hound comp. :-)

limit him to 50yds of line on his reels :lol: :lol: :lol:

Tue Jul 17, 2012 12:26 pm

Well done JP that's some win boy

Wed Jul 18, 2012 2:31 pm

JP even got his hair cut for the photo's.