Getting back into the swing of things

Shore angling - everything welcome! The opinions expressed here are those of the private individuals and we accept no responsibility or liability.

Moderator: donal domeney

Getting back into the swing of things

Postby Liamwh93 » Tue Jul 19, 2022 12:01 pm

Afternoon lads,

New to the forum hoping i could get some advice.
I am trying to get a couple of mates into fishing and would love to bring them somewhere that they will be near guaranteed a catch to get them hooked, pun intended :P .
We are based in Dublin but can travel if needs be and are sea angling for the most part.

We are not looking for specimens just want to get a few fish on the line, any marks you'd be willing to share would be greatly appreciated!
If this isn't the right place to ask on the forum point me in the right direction

Thanks in advance.
Liamwh93
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 2 times

Re: Getting back into the swing of things

Postby daveyboy » Wed Jul 20, 2022 5:27 pm

Would suggest one of the north Wexford beaches like Kilgorman or Ballymoney. Should get dogs, flats maybe smoothies

For this message the author daveyboy has received thanks:
Liamwh93 (Wed Jul 20, 2022 6:56 pm)
daveyboy
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 79 times

Postby Liamwh93 » Wed Jul 20, 2022 7:31 pm

daveyboy wrote:Would suggest one of the north Wexford beaches like Kilgorman or Ballymoney. Should get dogs, flats maybe smoothies

Thanks Davey! Was planning on heading down that way soon enough. Would you recommend a certain time of day/tide? Or any certain baits that would work well?
Liamwh93
SAI Lug Worm

Postby BassAssassin » Thu Jul 21, 2022 8:30 am

I've found nothing can beat rag worm when beach casting :D

For this message the author BassAssassin has received thanks:
Liamwh93 (Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:54 pm)
BassAssassin
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 4 times

Postby daveyboy » Fri Jul 22, 2022 9:40 am

I haven't fished the area loads but the last time I was there rag worked really well . We were getting smoothies on it. Fishing really picked up in the dark

Liamwh93 (Mon Jul 25, 2022 9:54 pm)
daveyboy
SAI Sea Dog!

Postby Liamwh93 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:16 pm

BassAssassin wrote:I've found nothing can beat rag worm when beach casting :D

was trying rags out around Howth there a few days ago and i found they either kept falling off or coming back in half eaten, is there a proper method to hooking them?
Liamwh93
SAI Lug Worm

Postby Liamwh93 » Mon Jul 25, 2022 2:18 pm

daveyboy wrote:I haven't fished the area loads but the last time I was there rag worked really well . We were getting smoothies on it. Fishing really picked up in the dark

What kind of rig works best using rag? would you be talking cast and leave it until you got a bite or cast and reel in?
Liamwh93
SAI Lug Worm

Postby daveyboy » Tue Jul 26, 2022 11:41 am

Liamwh93 wrote:
daveyboy wrote:I haven't fished the area loads but the last time I was there rag worked really well . We were getting smoothies on it. Fishing really picked up in the dark

What kind of rig works best using rag? would you be talking cast and leave it until you got a bite or cast and reel in?

I'd say leave the baits out for about 15 mins. If the bait has been stripped when you bring it crabs May be eating it so you might need to change baits more regularly - every 10 mins say.

I'd suggest you get a baiting needle. That will help you thread the worm up the hook and over the eye of the hook. It's handy if you are putting on a single big ragworm. That said if you just nip a ragworm through its mouth/head and lob it out gently in close, it wriggles well and catches well.

Rig wise I'd say go for a 2 hook flapper for general fishing in relatively close. If you want to cast further go for a clipped down rig with bait stops on the snood to stop the worm going back up the line.

padraig (Sat Aug 13, 2022 1:25 pm)
daveyboy
SAI Sea Dog!

Return to Shore Angling Q&A / Forum