Conger from the shore

Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:36 pm

Having not hooked one of my last 5 conger runs, its obvious Im doing something wrong
Can I ask how you successfull conger catchers strike
Do you strike at the end of the run, during the run or what
Help
Frustrated and sleepless
Kev

Mon Oct 04, 2004 4:51 pm

An angler in our competition yesterday in moneypoint power station pulled out 5 conger 2 of which were around the 25lb mark with whole fresh mackerel cut down the belly on a penel with decent sized hooks. Personaly I think fresh mackerel does make a difference but the KB baits mackerel can be top notch. The unbranded frozen mackerel in limerick is absolute muck.

Donagh

Re: Conger from the shore

Tue Oct 05, 2004 12:55 pm

bigkev wrote:Having not hooked one of my last 5 conger runs, its obvious Im doing something wrong
Can I ask how you successfull conger catchers strike
Do you strike at the end of the run, during the run or what
Help
Frustrated and sleepless
Kev

Way I do it is, after the first take hold the rod and put a bit of pressure on it then when I feel the conger start to move again bang I hit him hard then reel down and hit him again.....Seems to work for me....only missed one doing this when I was down in Fenit couple of weeks ago...Again it just seems to work for me....

John

New to sea-fishing

Tue Oct 05, 2004 1:21 pm

Donagh,

Where is the best place to get frozen mackrel in limerick?

Regards,
Seán

Tue Oct 05, 2004 3:44 pm

I haven't looked into bonds freezer in a long while but I don't think they do branded stuff. Steves have been getting in KB baits mackerel which is top notch. Make sure the vacumn seal isn't broken. Ring beforehand as they were out last week but Kevin Brain was dropping some off this week. If you freeze your own properly its much better quality than the unbranded mackerel. I had to make do with some suposedly flash frozen mackerel on sunday and I can honestly say I've had better quality refrozen mackerel.

Donagh

Wed Oct 06, 2004 5:31 pm

I use exactly the same method as jonnhig and it works for me most of the time. Pick up the rod when it starts to move and when you feel it move again strike.

Shore Conger

Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:20 am

Thanks lads.
This saturday, me, fenit and some conger have a date
Ill let you know how it went
Kev
PS JohnHig- Is that yzf of yours one of the pink lairy ones?

Re: Shore Conger

Thu Oct 07, 2004 11:46 am

bigkev wrote:Thanks lads.
This saturday, me, fenit and some conger have a date
Ill let you know how it went
Kev
PS JohnHig- Is that yzf of yours one of the pink lairy ones?

Pink no it's a blue with some faded red... :D

Fri Oct 08, 2004 4:12 pm

Kev,
I was thinking about an evening/night fishing session in fenit on saturday myself.One thing though.The weather is predicting light wind from the dreaded east.Bad for fishing in general but i dont know if this will affect the conger.let me know what time you will be there at if you fancy meeting up to double the bait in the water.

Sat Oct 09, 2004 11:03 pm

had a great conger session last night on the north clare coast with the wind from the northeast. if you want to get big conger, the next 6 weeks should be your best chance to get em....

Shore Conger

Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:09 pm

Hey Jakes, are you willing to share this mark of yours for the conger?
Bigcol, never made it to fenit as fishing partner was working late, and night fishing is not a solitary sport, will mail you when we do get the trip sorted though
Cheers for the replies
Kev

Mon Oct 11, 2004 1:58 pm

Looking through this site http://www.traleebayseaangling.com/ the lads down there float fish mackerel baits in Fenit. This seems like an excellent idea as I find conger are wary when they feel resistance when taking a bait and it presents a bait a midwater level where congers are often seen swimming around. Though it wouldn't be do practical in the estuary with the strong tidal flow.

I find ledgering the penn 525 rachet doesn't free spool enough and use an old boat reel that I can adjust the spool tension on. I found I increased hook ups doing this.

Donagh

Mon Oct 11, 2004 4:21 pm

so when do you stop shore fishing for conger, what part of the year...West coast that is