saltwater fly fishing

Probably the fastest growing arm of the sport, here is a forum dedicated to the art. Beginners like myself welcome.

Moderators: Tanglerat, lumpy

saltwater fly fishing

Postby joyster » Sun Dec 09, 2012 8:33 pm

i have decided to take up fly fishing after a 10 year break, i would appreacite any info on lines , flies, etc and any tackle shops that deal in salt water fly fishing.
joyster
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 5 times

Re: saltwater fly fishing

Postby The Austrian » Sun Dec 09, 2012 11:07 pm

“Our prime purpose in this life is to help others. And if you can't help them, at least don't hurt them.” - Dalai Lama
“Learn from Yesterday, Live for Today and Hope for Tomorrow.” - Albert Einstein
The Austrian
Ctrl A, Ctrl C, Ctrl V

Have thanks: 540 times

Postby alvanorichie » Mon Dec 10, 2012 11:19 am

You will need this heavy of a rod depending on where and what type weed and structure is in the water.you may have to quickly subdue your catch if your fishing around sharp coral & large weed-beds, (or kelp)! If the water has no "hazards" you may be able to downsize to a 10 WT but, personally, I wouldn't go any lighter. you never know what size fish your going to hook into offshore.
alvanorichie
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby patk » Mon Dec 10, 2012 3:47 pm

I think for bass 10 wt is far too much. I have been using 9wts but use a 6 or a 7wt for mullet. It has occurred to me this year that more often than not I have been catching bigger fish (mullet up to 6/7lb) on the 6 or 7 wt yet beef up to the 9wt when bass fishing. I think ill be going down to a 7 wt for bass this year unless it really is blowing up into my face. Now the rod would be a fast rod though.
patk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 53 times

Return to Saltwater Fly Fishing