what type of rod

Sat Mar 05, 2011 11:18 pm

hi all. i am looking to buy a fly rod and reel for the sea this year . want to try pollack and mack on the fly.. can anybody advise me on what type of set up.... i have never fly fish before on the sea.... thanks...

Re: what type of rod

Sun Mar 06, 2011 12:43 pm

with it being your first rod,id go for a 9ft 6in 7/8 rated rod,the 7/8 is the fly line rating,this would be classed as a standard salmon rod and would handle a good pollock,this is what i use for pollock/mackerel fishing and you get a great fight with it.i think jason in heaneys in claremorris does a package of rod,reel and fly line for 90 euros,i'll check it out if you want.

Re: what type of rod

Sun Mar 06, 2011 1:34 pm

thanks for that noel.. can you check it out for me please....

Re: what type of rod

Mon Mar 07, 2011 10:20 am

Id recommend a 9 foot 9 wt rod especially if you go deep for pollack. Check out jimh site here site for more detailed info or drop him a pm pat

Re: what type of rod

Tue Mar 08, 2011 7:58 pm

alan,jason in heaneys has the starter rod,reel,and line kits, starting from 59 euros,you can pay more,but i would not till you figure if its for you,but if you catch a 2lb plus pollock on fly.....you will never look back!

Re: what type of rod

Sun Apr 10, 2011 2:01 pm

i have 9.6 9wt wilderness she dose the job well go on ebay you cann get them cheap on there