Which variant of Shimano Ultegra?

At the suggestion of various members and given the magazines will run a mile from criticising a piece of kit, here is your chance to tell us what you really think about a rod, reel, line, lure... keep it legal please!

Moderators: Seaniebo, corbyeire

Which variant of Shimano Ultegra?

Postby Teegerstk » Tue May 30, 2017 8:54 pm

Hi
Was on the mur-tackle site there and was looking around for Shimano Ultegras - around 10000 or 14000 size
I would probably go for 10000, but there are a few different onces, XTD, XSB, XTD
Are there big differences in build quality and overall capability in these variants?
Thanks a lot
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Re: Which variant of Shimano Ultegra?

Postby guts » Thu Jun 01, 2017 1:58 pm

any one you can aford to get your hands on :D
guts
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 40 times

Postby pajo » Fri Jun 02, 2017 12:25 pm

Hello Teegerstk,

I was having a look at these myself. My understanding is that the XS models are aimed at salt water fishing while the XT models are aimed at freshwater. The Shimano site has listed them under Big Pit/Surf for the XS models and Big Pit/Carp for the XT models. The latest models are the D range, XSD and XTD, the previous versions were XSC and XTC. I can't see much in the difference other than that the XSD is silver and the XTD is black! I've had a twist of each of them (14000 models) in the shop and they both feel good, well-balanced and tight. I haven't fished with any of them so I can't say what they are like fishing wise but my past experience with Shimano reels has always been very positive. Be interesting to see comments from anyone who has used them...

Regards,
Pajo
pajo
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 31 times

Postby Teegerstk » Fri Jun 02, 2017 10:14 pm

pajo wrote:Hello Teegerstk,

I was having a look at these myself. My understanding is that the XS models are aimed at salt water fishing while the XT models are aimed at freshwater. The Shimano site has listed them under Big Pit/Surf for the XS models and Big Pit/Carp for the XT models. The latest models are the D range, XSD and XTD, the previous versions were XSC and XTC. I can't see much in the difference other than that the XSD is silver and the XTD is black! I've had a twist of each of them (14000 models) in the shop and they both feel good, well-balanced and tight. I haven't fished with any of them so I can't say what they are like fishing wise but my past experience with Shimano reels has always been very positive. Be interesting to see comments from anyone who has used them...

Regards,
Pajo

Thanks for the info. I've heard great things about the Ultegra .
2019 species: codling, whiting, flounder, dab, dogfish, spurdog, sole, smooth hound, bass
2020 species: codling, dab, whiting, flounder, dogfish, turbot, smooth hound, bass
2021 species: flounder, black goby, dogfish, smooth hound
2022 species: dogfish, smooth hound
2023 species: flounder
2024 species: dab
Teegerstk
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 226 times

Return to Tackle Reviews by Sea Anglers