boat reel line

Fri May 13, 2011 8:06 pm

hi!!just want to replace the reel line for next trip on cobh,,sat 21 and i have all ready daiwa sensor mono 25lbs on full spool 465m!!
its ok for boat reel???before i use supracast 30lb!! need some advice :it's ok 25 lbs sensor for boat reel???thanks

Re: boat reel line

Fri May 13, 2011 10:31 pm

Haven't got any experience with that particular line but it should be ok, although have you ever considered switching to braid?? You'll never look back!

Sat May 14, 2011 8:28 am

you should try braid with a mono leader (just a few feet 5 or 6)it will give you ten times as much feel you,ll have a much better fight out of your catches and loose alot less tackle :wink: 30 lb braid will require alot less lead because its thinner than mono go on slash out :!:

Sat May 14, 2011 8:36 am

check yer Rod Eyes are OK with braid...otherwise ye'll end up with gouges!

Sat May 14, 2011 8:10 pm

thanks for replay lads!!!!!i have two rods for boat fishing leda northstar 20-30lb and a seahawk fenwick 20-30!!i don't know if the rod eyes are SIC on this models!!!i know the braid give moore sensitivity because no elongations compared with any mono!!will see !!what about power pro braid--at 300m spools-it's ok for sea fishing??

Sat May 14, 2011 10:35 pm

You have choices this subject.
So firstly braid V mono. I shall compare. Sufix Elite, 15.4kg. 300m spool mono. Diameter 0.45 ( I think one of the best value monofiliments ever produced ). with Power Pro. 15kg 275mt spool Green Braid.Diameter 0.23. the first issue is price. Sufix €9.80. Power Pro. €49.
The diameter becomes an issue with resistance against water pressure (flow). The greater the diameter the more drag caused on the line, hence the more weight needed to keep the business end of your gear on the bottom. And this also causes a bow in the line which will reduces the bite detection and many takes will be missed. the greater the depth fished the more relevant this becomes, Having said that, if you are fishing in waters of 30-40 ft these factors really aren't an issue.
Elasticity, Braid has very little stretch, and is totally unforgiving, a lot of dedicated braid anglers will use a mono leader to give a little shock absorption to their line. Shark anglers Rarely use braid. Personally I use braid straight through to the terminal rig and set the reel drag light, using my thumb on the spool to apply strike pressure.
I understand how complicated this may sound, but if i may make a comparison. the line connects you to the fish, as tyres connect you to the road. If you do a lot of driving, and in all sorts of conditions, get the best tyres you can afford.
Good luck in Cork.
Last edited by bait all on Sat May 14, 2011 10:42 pm, edited 1 time in total.

Sat May 14, 2011 10:39 pm

Just a P.S I have a tackle shop in Fermoy, tomorrow i shall contact the agents and find out if your rods are braid compatible.

Sun May 15, 2011 4:13 am

:D thank you!!! :D :wink:
i am foreigner!!!In Ireland from Mai 2001!!On the first place i work here i meet one Irish man Nevile and him bring me first in my life on the boat fishing with him friends!!We still work some time together(weekends)and from 2001 till now we do a trip or two to Cobh!Same people,,same friends and some crack!I love that litle town and the people over there!!Friday night i work till 4am Sat morning and after that just jump in the car and drive to Cobh--from Dublin north side!!! :D
tahnks again for your advice and for your time!!
PS:i have all ready POWER PRO-0.23 15KG,275M from last angling show (February--swords)!!!!And somebody there up doesn't sleep!! :D :wink: