Red Bay a couple of weeks back (late report)

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:27 pm

People: me, Cathal (cathalger) and Peter

Duration: 11am - 7pm

Tide: high around 4.30pm

Weather: great - sunny but winds picked up later

Bait: mackerel

Rigs: baited feathers, pirks, paternoster, soft plastics, baited lead-heads

Results:
we were all glad to get out on the water for a change as it doesn't happen too often. we had picked a fine day as the sun was shining and conditions looked grand. met up at 10am and were on the water for 11. we started with targeting macks and were straight into them. most were joeys but there were some decent ones thrown in too.
we ended up with 9 species: cod (to 4lbs), haddock, red gurnard, grey gurnard, mackerel, doggies, coley, pollack and whiting but the best fish of the day, i hate to say, fell to me.. :wink: :lol: it was after things had quietened down out on the open water that we had decided to hit the shoreline and try for pollack, wrasse and whatever else was about. i decided to opt for an old favourite of mine, a 6" blood-head sidewinder, and after only 2 casts i struck into a decent 7lb4oz pollack. well chuffed 8)
throughout the rest of the day i was trying for something of size on the bottom (i was using whole mack, flappers and fillets) but nothing decent turned up. whereas the other boys were using baited feathers and perks and they were certainly catching more fish. we managed to snag a big seagull at one time but he was carefully handled and released seeming none the worse for his ordeal - he was pretty much straight back the boat looking for scraps!
all-in-all a great day out with some nice fish kept for the pan. a good days craic and some decent fishing

a few pics below. 10pts for the person who can identify the 2 types of bird in the last pic.. :P
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Red Bay a couple of weeks back (late report)

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:28 pm

You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Tue Sep 25, 2012 7:51 pm

nice mix of fish well done.
The birds are kittywake's the top one is an adult bird yellow beak and the bottom one in a juvinile in it's first year with black beak :wink:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:05 pm

JOHN1 wrote:nice mix of fish well done.
The birds are kittywake's the top one is an adult bird yellow beak and the bottom one in a juvinile in it's first year with black beak :wink:

cheers John
and well done, youre on the ball :wink: 10 points headin your way.. :P :D

Tue Sep 25, 2012 9:19 pm

chuckaroo wrote:cheers John
youre on the ball :wink: 10 pints headin your way.. :P :D

just make sure it's not Harp,that stuff cuts the liver out of me :lol: :lol:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 10:07 pm

haha! dont know if thats a direct quote there! :lol:

Tue Sep 25, 2012 11:06 pm

nice

Fri Sep 28, 2012 4:35 pm

doggy wrote:nice

cheers doggy. no monsters, apart from a decent pollack, but a decent wee day out.. :mrgreen: