Bass Hunter, W. Waterford, 31st Aug & 2nd Sept

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Bass Hunter, W. Waterford, 31st Aug & 2nd Sept

Postby Stan » Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:56 pm

People: Me, Willie & Padraig inshore trolling. Barry, Eamon, Pat & Willhelm outside sharking.

Duration: 12.00-16.30
Tide: 7ish

Weather: 31st Aug Fresh SW wind & 2nd Sept calm & sunny

Bait: lures

Results: Friday 1 bass & 5 pollock & Sunday lots of Pollock and 1 bass

Report: The plan on Friday was to go out and meet some friends who were shark fishing with Peter Manning out of Ballycotton. However, when we got out to sea it was quite rough and the wind was freshening. No weather for a small boat. So it was time for a re-think and we decided to go trolling along the rocks. As the wind was pushing straight in it was a full time job to keep the boat heading in a straight line. Anyway we got off to a good start with Willy taking a nice pollock followed by a bass.
W Waterford Bass Aug 2012 Willie.jpg
W Waterford Bass Aug 2012 Willie.jpg (28.98 KiB) Viewed 542 times

I managed my one and only pollock before Willie got 3 more. I think that we could have caught more fish if the water was clearer. It was like pea soup and dark brown in colour. The lures must have had to pass right in front of the fishes’ faces for them to see it.
Barry's Blue.jpg
Barry's Blue.jpg (122.31 KiB) Viewed 543 times

Meanwhile word came in from the lads outside to say that they had landed 3 blue sharks and dropped 3 others.
Eamon's blue 2a.jpg
Eamon's blue 2a.jpg (44.19 KiB) Viewed 542 times

Saturday was too rough for boat and so we went shore fishing.

The plan for Sunday was to do a couple of hours fishing and take the boat back to Dublin. As it has broken its mooring twice during the last 2 Septembers I am unwilling to leave it on the mooring during this month.
So off we set fishing the dark brown water again. Pollock were more plentiful with all of us getting quite a few before I finally landed a nice bass.
W Waterford bass Aug 2012.jpg
W Waterford bass Aug 2012.jpg (32.03 KiB) Viewed 542 times

Overall a good weekends fishing. I know that we could catch get more fish on feathers out in deeper water but fishing with lures on light gear is so much more fun. I look forward to trying trolling in Dublin bay over the next few weeks to see what we can catch there…..big bass hopefully.

For this message the author Stan has received thanks: 3
declan65 (Tue Sep 04, 2012 10:22 pm), seanie35 (Tue Sep 04, 2012 9:59 pm), Sweetwrasse (Tue Sep 04, 2012 5:59 pm)
Stan
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 277 times

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports