Culdaff, 17th August 2012

Sat Aug 18, 2012 7:16 pm

People: Ciaran McFish, Adie and Myself

Duration: 6.15-9.15

Tide:Ebb

Weather:Warm, sunny, light SW.

Bait: feathers, soft plastics, mack and rag.

Rigs: paternosters, flowing traces.

Results:Pollock, coalies, red gurnard, grey gurnard, dab, whiting, mackeral, ballan wrasse, corkwing wrasse

Report: With the nice calm sunny evening yesterday it would have been rude not to do some sort of fishing. Ciaran McFish had hinted at taking his boat out for a few hours and I didn't need asking twice!
First drop was not far behind the pier to see if any mack were about. They were patchy enough but we got a few on board along with some nice hard-fighting coalies in the 2-3lb bracket and some small pollock. We headed on out to try a few drifts over rougher ground for bigger pollock and wrasse. Fishing was slow here, a few wrasse provided some sport but there was a total absence of pollock which was strange. We made for some cleaner ground then to boost the confidence with the ever obliging red gurnards and after about 15 minutes of non-stop doubles and trebles of gurnard and whiting we moved on again.
With the nice calm evening we reckoned a plaice might be on the cards so we anchored up. No plaice but Ciaran managed a nice dab and Adie landed a big grey gurnard. The light was going to start to fade at this stage so we decided to try a few more drifts over the rough ground in the hope that the pollock might have come on the feed. Unfortunately no joy with the bigger pollock so the decision was made to head in. The fishing was only mediocre in terms of numbers but 9 species accounted for in three hours is a good day in my book!! Thanks to Ciaran for the invite out, the craic was good on a really beautiful Inishowen evening 8) 8)