Dublin Boat Marks (IMELDA) PB species count 9/8/2012

Fri Aug 10, 2012 10:21 pm

People:Harry And I

Duration:11.5 hours

Tide: yes
Weather:fog / sunny/ overcast

Bait:rag razor mack launce lug crab

Rigs:various

Results: (18) species 8) plaice,macks,lsd's,whiting,cod,launce,tub gurnard, grey gurnard,dabs,thornback ray,corkwing wrasse, ballan wrasse,Dragonet, pollack,poorcod,tompot blenny, pouting ,octopus.

Report:looked at the forecast on wednesday evening and decided to do a local hunt for a few flats with harry. when i woke i looked out the window into a thick fog :shock: not to let that stop us we headed off to the old local hot spots with hopes of getting a bit of action like we got down wicklow way last weekend.
we had 3 plaice come into the boat the best been a cracker of a fish to harry measuring 37cm 8) we also had few dabs whiting and dogs from here. the fog lifted after a couple of hours.so after a while we moved of in search of the elusive tope again not a bite again :? but we had smaller baits on the go aswell picking up plenty of dogs a couple of tubs and a good few grey gurnards dabs and mackerel with a few launce and a baby thornback ray 8)
so after breaking our arms dragging dogs to the surface we headed to the shallow reefs in search of a few cod and pollack, wishfull thinking, we did manage a few small fish nothing over the two pound mark at this stage we done a count of the species we had in the day we were on 11 at this stage 8) not bad we tought, so off we went in search of a few wrasse first up was a ballen happy days so we were now after the smaller cousins we had a few corkwings and more ballans and for the life of me i could not manage a goldsinny to bring us to 14, im nearly guarenteed one any other day im out :?
still on 13 we went in search of the mini stuff where we plucked a few more wrasse along with a welcome couple of tompot blennys and an octopus to harry bringing us to my pb of 15 species i had on my own in the boat up here last year :D
still a few fish to be had i headed to a mark i have for pouting and there poor relatives and like clock work they were coming up in singles and doubles at a time so at 17 we headed out after a hound again as we got none earlier in the day not a sniff but we did manage a bonus dragonet on the small gear 8) at 18 we were delighted with ourselvs we gave it a good shot to try and make the magic 20, but it just didnt happen hopefully next time :wink:
i remember saying last year when i got the 15 in 7 odd hours that there was a potential to get 20 species in dublin this was close yet so far away, will just have to try much harder :mrgreen: I forgot to bring the usual camera and the one we had had low batteries but we did manage a few pictures to post up, all in all a fantastic day afloat and some new targets set :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Dublin Boat Marks (IMELDA) PB species count 9/8/2012

Sat Aug 11, 2012 10:37 am

Great going John - some chowder that would make :D :D

Sun Aug 12, 2012 10:29 pm

all u need now is a fish thank :mrgreen: only kidding :wink: well done

Tue Aug 14, 2012 1:18 pm

henrykelly10 wrote:all u need now is a fish thank :mrgreen: only kidding :wink: well done

if it was that simple i would have all the mini stuff in a tank 8)

Mon Aug 20, 2012 7:03 pm

thats a great days fishing ,nice to see a good flatfish 8) i was out yesterday it was SSE 4-5ish only had macks ,do you ever try the leinster for ling and conger ,its a slack tide job. i hope you get the 20 some day i think the best we had out of dublin was 13 or 14 for about 12 hours of fishing

Tue Aug 21, 2012 8:07 pm

Thanks con,
I was out on sunday myself, not very nice at all, But not as bad as i was in last monday :shock: I went down to have a look at the sea before i got the fuel for the boat and it was flat calm 8) launched within an hour and it had blown up got a fair hammering but managed a few fish hounds dogs whiting and wrasse the water was very coloured id say thats what the problem was :wink:
yes i do fish the leinster,only a few times a year weather permitting :? we were on the way out a few weeks back and had to turn back as the weather went wrong again light westerlies went fresh SE :evil: you just cant beleive what the forecasters are saying, take it as you see it :wink:
yes 20 would be very nice hopefully someday soon :wink:

Mon Aug 27, 2012 4:27 pm

Oh lovely tompot. They are quite a delicacy down here in Redfort. Yummy!

Mon Aug 27, 2012 5:37 pm

so sorry having to burst your bubble with the species count John :oops: , unfortunately Octopus (what a beauty) has no internal skeleton or spine/back bone and therefore it is classified as an invertebrate.
Nevertheless, all in all a fantastic day afloat as you've said and I'm more than envious, my species count is around 3 this year :cry:

Mon Aug 27, 2012 11:15 pm

The Austrian wrote:so sorry having to burst your bubble with the species count John :oops: , unfortunately Octopus (what a beauty) has no internal skeleton or spine/back bone and therefore it is classified as an invertebrate.
Nevertheless, all in all a fantastic day afloat as you've said and I'm more than envious, my species count is around 3 this year :cry:

Thanks for the input martin, my bubble was burst a long time ago :mrgreen:
the reason im putting it down as a species on the count is there is another forum that i take part in a yearly boat species count and cephalopod's are allowed to be counted :D
I can change the number of species to 17 if it helps :wink: :lol: :lol:

Fri Aug 31, 2012 9:18 pm

Congrats John and Harry.

Glad to see you are still enjoying lot of good fishing .And a brilliant wrasse .Keep it up dude,.

Any macks out there ?Meself and Conor out last sunday week and big huss and lsd nt neer a mack .

See you around .

Sun Sep 02, 2012 1:27 pm

FRANK1 wrote:Congrats John and Harry.

Glad to see you are still enjoying lot of good fishing .And a brilliant wrasse .Keep it up dude,.

Any macks out there ?Meself and Conor out last sunday week and big huss and lsd nt neer a mack .

See you around .

howya Ronan, macks fairly scarce out there but the mouth of the harbour seems to be the safest bet for getting a few :wink:

Sun Sep 02, 2012 7:19 pm

Good pics John and good report. Like the Tompot and the pouting pics especially. Dont see what harm it is sticking in the likes of octopus and lobster in the list of species caught. Its interesting too to catch these. Spose we could put them down as additional species, or non fish species or something. Like a wee seperate category in addition to the fish species? They aint fish so they aint in the fish count but still interesting additions to the annual results.