Mariah SC 19, Culdaff Bay, Culdaff, Donegal 04/June/2012

Wed Jun 06, 2012 5:42 pm

2 People: Myself & Jimmy:

5 hours:

Low to High Spring Tide:

Sunny/very good:

Mackerel:

Shamrock Mickey Fish, Shamrock Kilmore Killers, TronixPro Orange Muppets, Mustad Hokkais 6/0, Yamashita Sabiki Muppets 4G, Soft Plastic Shads:

Haddock, Codling, Whiting, Spurdog, Pollock, Bull Huss, Coaley, Mackerel, Red Gurnard:

This is my first Post:
Great Day, Tide was a bit Low when Launching from Bunagee Pier in Culdaff, Co. Donegal. We tried for a few Mackerel at first with no joy.
We Then headed past Dunmore and it was not long until the Pollock Appeared. After a few Pollock and Coalies, we decided to head out a bit further and a few Mackerel appeared. We headed out a bit deeper and tried the Kilmore Killers Rig, on the first drop I had a Spurdog.
I baited up the Kilmore Killers and dropped again, Once I hit the Bottom, My rod started some serious heavy jerking, I started to reel in again but this time it was a lot more difficult to take whatever it was to the top, the pulling seemed to slacken a bit for a few turns of the reel but once that thing saw the surface it started to run again.I kept at it and it was not long until I got a glimpse of this huge Spurdog now thrashing on the surface, I was ready to lift it onto the board when bang! the 4/0 snap swivel on my rod bent and sprang out. The Spurdog was off to the depths again with my trace! :cry:

I Attached the "Mickey Fish Rig" and baited up with Mackerel, Jimmy attached the "Orange Tronixpro Muppets" baited with Mackerel, It was not long before Jimmy was struggling to reel in a Bull Huss.

After a few good sized whiting and a few more spurdogs and codling I Struck Gold with the Mickey Fish Rig, a Beautiful Haddock!
This was followed by a lot more Spurdogs, Whiting, Codling, Red Gurnard,

I dropped the unbaited Yamashita Mini Sabiki Muppets size 4G to the Bottom on my second rod and just left it there for a few minutes while i reeled in another spurdog and whiting. The second rod fell forward with a huge bang, I grabbed it and started to reel in, whatever was on it was very heavy, it took a long time to get it to the surface, when I did i could not believe what I saw! a codling on one hook, a whiting below that and on the bottom, a huge Spurdog (these muppets are only suitable for fishing mackerel and have very light line) the Spurdog gave one thrash and snapped off one of the mini muppets then he was off. At least i managed to get the Codling and the Whiting.
After another few Spurdogs, Codling, Whiting, Gurnard we decided to call it a day and headed back to Bunagee Pier, The Mariah lifted through the water like she was going to take off! They are a Great Boat.
It was a great Days fishing. :D
:

Last edited by ollyfarren on Thu Jun 07, 2012 12:28 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Mariah SC 19, Culdaff Bay, Culdaff, Donegal 04/June/2012

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:08 pm

Some nice fish there and its your first post 8) Do you know a certain barber in Dublin :?:

Anto.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 7:59 pm

Not to often you see whiting bigger than cod!

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:00 pm

Aye, they sure were the biggest Whiting I ever saw. we must got about 40-50 of them.
A few of them were small too, but the majority of them were like big that one.

Wed Jun 06, 2012 9:09 pm

Delighted to see you having great success especially on my name sake, (MICKEYFISH RIG), my own personal design,

nice to see a good variety of fish especially that Haddock

regards

Mick

Wed Jun 06, 2012 10:42 pm

mickeyfish wrote:Delighted to see you having great success especially on my name sake, (MICKEYFISH RIG), my own personal design,

nice to see a good variety of fish especially that Haddock

regards

Mick

If thats true then thank you very much for creating it because we got some really nice fish on them.... see here > http://www.facebook.com/media/set/?set= ... 737&type=1

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:08 pm

A good days fishing Oliver well done
Did you get yourself a new boat

Wed Jun 06, 2012 11:21 pm

For sure "myworldfishing", the "Mickey Fish" rig by "Shamrock Tackle" is s*** hot. we had a vast range of different species on it that day, large and small, and did i mention that they are for sale in the Go Petrol Station in Culdaff, as well as a lot of other Shamrock, TronixPro, Mustad, Yamashita Rigs. (pardon the plug lol!)

Also, the Spurdogs can chew away on the rig and not damage it! so you wont loose it!

And no Cathal the Mariah Boat is not mine.

Wed Jun 13, 2012 2:08 pm

Do you sell petrol up there as well?

Wed Jun 13, 2012 7:33 pm

Stephen8wood wrote:Do you sell petrol up there as well?

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Thu Jun 14, 2012 9:37 am

Excellent trip & trip report. Great start to posting on SAI!

re those snap swivels - the only time I'd use them is if I'm desperate, or to link the lead to the line. All other times I use a Crane Interlock - pretty much the same as the snap swivel, but with the added refinement of a small "lock" to prevent them straightening out under pressure.

Also, the very next time I'm up in Culdaff I'll know where to go for petrol!

Fri Jun 15, 2012 9:43 pm

Is this an add for Shamrock tackle, or what ?

Mon Jun 18, 2012 6:18 pm

Thats some great fishing, I didnt even know we had spurdog around there. Good to see the fish stocks seem to be making a steady come-back around the Donegal coast over the past couple of years.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:16 am

PaddyB wrote:

:lol: :lol: :lol:

Image Image Image

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:19 am

corney wrote:Is this an add for Shamrock tackle, or what ?

Shamrock gear worked very well for us that day.

Fri Aug 03, 2012 9:25 am

sure do 8wood
do u play golf as well?