Port na Blagh - The Cricket 4th September

OLd Boat Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Port na Blagh - The Cricket 4th September

Postby pete » Wed Sep 07, 2005 9:56 am

Met up with Petekd and Cassie from the forum on a real peach of a day in Port Na Blagh. We tried the clean for a while first but it was slow going with only the odd red gurnard showing. Moved onto reefs at Tory Island and enjoyed some cracking light gear pollock fishing before resuming our hunt on the clean where this time we did a bit better with some good tub gurnards, reds, dabs and spotted rays showing. We also hit a big shoal of coalies averaging 3 to 4lb whilst drifting this clean. Even managed to get myself a specimen red gurnard at 2lb 3oz, well pleased.

Mackerel were everywhere and at times it was struggle to get to the bottom without them attacking your trace. All in all it was a good days fishing, good crack too and the skipper Pat Robinson was excellent very friendly and helpful. Petekd also proved to be a dab hand at catching guillemots - was whipping them out steady with baited hokkais!

Pete
pete
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 51 times

Postby petekd » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:35 pm

Yeah, thoroughly enjoyable day out alright, good to put another face to a name. As for the Guillemot, this is the first time I have ever hooked a bird under the water and it was a Shad that did the trick if anyone is interested. Poses an interesting question though doesnt it, if that had been a comp and because it took the bait under the water Id have been screaming blue murder to have it marked down as a species! Maybe thats clutching at straws as I wasnt catching enough fish!

I must say Pete, I was most disturbed however by the sheer brutality you displayed dispatching all those mackerel and small pollack. You didnt work on a poultry farm at any stage did you? :)

Bait of the day was a spun Berkeley Sandworm which looks like a big King Ragworm and stinks to high heaven, Cassie and Raymond on the opposite side of the boat were busy hauling in quality pollack to beat the band on these (and saying nothing to nobody!) Cassie however went very quiet later on in the afternoon, being the only Armagh man I know that hails from Belfast! Unlucky mate, it could be a lot worse, you could be a Donegal man from Sheffield living in Cork.
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 114 times

Postby Conor H » Wed Sep 07, 2005 12:38 pm

He only lives in Belfast because we don't allow him back in Armagh !! :D

Are you 2 going on the 16th Oct ? If so, looking forward to meeting you !!
-----------------------------
Cheers

Conor
<)))))><
Conor H
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby petekd » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:31 pm

Unfortunately I am 99% sure ill not be able to make it as have a conference in Killarney to attend over that weekend. That and the fact the missus is due to drop our first sprog around that time also. Instead of pulling in pollack (or not as the case was on Sun!) ill be having my credit card hammered to within an inch of its life in Mothercare and the like, know where id rather be though. Next year......!

Dont forget to ask Cassie about the rather spectacular fall he had, all that after laughing at other misfortunates ie me who had slipped twice in the same spot....its Karma mate!

Oh and Pete, what on earth were you going to do with all those little pollack you kept taking??? :lol:
Fluff chucking is the new black..... Rampant Wreckfish is a fly angler in denial :D
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Postby pete » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:48 pm

Poultry farm! Petekd the way you rung that guillemots neck was nothing short of professional. As for gaffing and bludgeoning that sunfish, well....I thought that was a bit heavy handed ! Anyway as you were saying to me catch and release is for wimps and never leave home without a lead tipped whackin stick even if your not going fishin!

I'll try for the 16th not 100% yet.

Pete
pete
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 51 times

Postby Conor H » Wed Sep 07, 2005 2:51 pm

Well all the best with the first born !! Say bye bye to the fishing !! I get out about half as much now, and the amount of work I have to do to chalk up brownie points is unbelievable !! Maybe see you on the Cricket next year then.

Cassie was on the phone telling me about the day's fishing you had, never mentioned going on his arse though !! Did his nostrils flare when you laughed at him ! :wink:
Cheers

Conor
<)))))><
Conor H
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 0 time

Postby petekd » Thu Sep 08, 2005 8:11 am

Well Pete, if we're going to get personal about it then I think I should inform everyone about that net you insisted on us towing on the way back into port. What was that written on your bag again? " no fish too small" :lol:
petekd
SAI Megalodon!

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports