Vessel: Danny Buoy

Crew:Myself and ilyich

Duration:08:00 - 17:00hrs

Tide:All kinds

Weather:Sunny, little wind, flat calm max 1ft waves

Bait:Feathers, leadheads, Fresh mackerel

Rigs:Feathers, conger, shark rigs

Results:continuous flow of mackerel and some launce

I finally got the boat out yesterday at around 08:00 from the slip at Dunmore. The water was flat apart from a little wave that came in and pulled the boat sideways on the trailer and scraped the paint off one of the roller brackets .

The first few hours were spent a mile or two off shore feathering in 30-40m of water the mackerel were mainly a very poor size about 6 inch being the usual with about 1 in 6 being 12inches. Both of us were still trying to find our sea legs, has anyone got any tips for when you start to feel sea sick?

We had half filled the box with mackerel and we decided to go out a bit further and try for the blue sharks which Dunmore seem to be famous for. We ended up 8.5miles out at around 1pm set up the rubby dubby and got the baits (1 live and one dead) in the water (55m deep).

By now the sickness was well gone for me but ilyich had a sleep. Whilst waiting for a shark we tried for conger, Pollock or cod on the bottom with one rod and the feathered again at all levels of the water again only producing small mackerel I tried bigger hook sizes and sand eel type lead heads but still nothing was interested.

After 2hrs drifting in total peace and quite I heard something snorting and thought it was ilyich but it was 3 dolphins breaching nearby which was pretty amazing to see. Another 2 hours passed without a bite, from any baited rod before we had to call it a day and head for home.

The bluecharts worked perfectly on the garmin nuvi car sat nav. We stopped about 400m off the shore and gave the feathers another go this time we got a few good sized mackerel and some big sand eels.

Back on the trailer around 5pm this time without any problems it winched on perfectly.

Over all it was a good day out, but we can’t understand how we how we didn’t catch any other species, was it the dolphins or the area we fished? We covered about 5 miles during our days fishing. The area covered was from Dunmore to the following coordinates (N 52º02.629’ W007º05.778’) which is where we ended up after drifting back towards shore.

So if anyone has fished these grounds, have any suggestions as to why this area contained so few fish or has some other areas where more species would be available please let me know.

Sean
Attachments
rsz_use2.jpg
Dunmore east
rsz_use2.jpg (71.09 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
rsz_1use.jpg
Tramore and brownstown head
rsz_1use.jpg (77.9 KiB) Viewed 1435 times
seanyroche
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Re: Disappointing Dunmore East

Postby steyrman » Mon Sep 27, 2010 8:45 pm

hi i was also out yesterday had a great days fishing east of you i have fished a few times for sharks out of tramore i will pm you a decent mark that has produced a few sharks and decent whiting on the drift i would say you were not out far enough on your mark 200 ft of water or more works most of the time i go deeper and drift back to land if i can depending on drift hope this helps
steyrman
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 10 times

Postby seanyroche » Tue Sep 28, 2010 10:27 am

steyrman wrote:hi i was also out yesterday had a great days fishing east of you i have fished a few times for sharks out of tramore i will pm you a decent mark that has produced a few sharks and decent whiting on the drift i would say you were not out far enough on your mark 200 ft of water or more works most of the time i go deeper and drift back to land if i can depending on drift hope this helps

That would be great, any help to put me on some fish would be very welcome. We still had a good day out in the boat though :D
seanyroche
SAI Bait Ball

Postby ltdslipdiff » Mon Apr 25, 2011 5:02 pm

Sorry to dig up an old thread, but the auld man + I were out on the water for the 1st time this year last Wednesday on a falling tide about two mile off Hook having launched in Dunmore. Fished with some Hokai and some feathers. Caught a small pollack which we used to bait hooks- and that was all we caught !!!! Very disappointed. The conditions were flat calm and spotted a few dolphins too ! haven't got a GPS but its a pending purchase any day now ! even the Fishfinder wasn't showing any fish about :cry:

I'd love any pointers anyone may have, including where to buy a reasonably priced GPS !

Fred
Quicksilver Pilothouse 500
ltdslipdiff
SAI Lug Worm

Postby screeming reels » Tue Apr 26, 2011 10:22 pm

hi lads,
few points , its way to early for sharks, ( though many species are putting in an early appearance) normally the sharks will appear from late june to october.
For general fishing the best place to go is the reefs 3 miles east of hook head, hence they are called the 3 mile rocks. they are shown on the charts but if you need the coord's i can pass them on. here you can expect, pollock on jellyworms, codling around the reefs on baited pink flashers or any pink hokkai rigs, pouting, ballen wrasse and cuckoo wrasse coalfish and if anchoured a chance of conger.
dunmore has some great fishing but like all fishing it can be very finnicky with one type of feathers working one day and another colour another day.
Hope that helps
regards
screeming
screeming reels
SAI Sea Dog!

Have thanks: 82 times

Postby saving private brian » Wed Apr 27, 2011 12:46 pm

well atleast you got plenty of bait anyway lol.............you were dead right to give the sharks ago,,,they are never far from those shoals of mackerel,,,,,,,,,might be a bit too early alright for the blues yet but they say the tope hit us from late april onwards
saving private brian
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 183 times

Postby ltdslipdiff » Wed Apr 27, 2011 6:39 pm

Just back in from another trip off Dunmore.... Brought the boat down from Waterford City this morning on a falling tide picking up a crew member in Dunmore and headed for Hook. Conditions were perfect, making the trip from the city to Dunmore in just under an hour on moderate throttle. Headed for Hook crossing the tide line on the way. Given the calm conditions we pointed ESE and got to a depth of 80 odd feet and started fishing using a defrosted Herring on various feathers and Hokai. Caught a small pollack and a long-looking codling, pardon my ignorance not sure what it was...threw it back anyway. relocated a little closer to Hook head and threw anchor and had a cuppa. Got a small dogfish and I'm afraid that was all !! Headed in after yet another poor days fishing..... May post pictures if I can edit them to make the fish look bigger !!!!

ltdslipdiff
SAI Lug Worm

Postby DaleB91 » Wed Apr 27, 2011 9:38 pm

The long looking cod thing could be a ling
DaleB91
SAI Lug Worm

Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Shambo » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:01 pm

Try not to think on it as a poor days fishing, it's more a learning curve! You'll not be long hitting on marks and getting into some decent fishing! As Dale says a ling sounds about right. They make for some nice eating!
Shambo
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 18 times

Postby twinkle » Wed Apr 27, 2011 10:36 pm

you need to listen what the guys are telling you.screaming reels is a top angler and knows that area like the back of his hand .would sugest you pm him for a mark or two.and if you get in to trouble down there he will most likely be the one to rescue you as he flys the helicoper for the rescue service
twinkle
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 161 times

Postby ltdslipdiff » Thu Apr 28, 2011 8:19 am

Cheers for that. I've often wondered who owned the nice boat out at Waterford Airport by the Rescue hangar, now I know !!! Hopefully I'll never have to meet him professionally !!! I realise it is a learning curve and its more about the getting out there at all that makes it for me anyway.
ltdslipdiff
SAI Lug Worm

Postby dezzer » Thu Apr 28, 2011 10:49 pm

that boat could belong to bass or nevskip,as screaming minds his pride and joy too much to leave it ,two other good local anglers and also members of the sar.......eddie.
dezzer
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 39 times

Postby Angus » Sat Apr 30, 2011 12:30 pm

Hi

I run a charter boat from Dunmore and i am out most weekends the boats called St Michael if you see me give me a call i will give you some marks or follow me round for a while

Angus
Angus
SAI Bait Ball

Postby ltdslipdiff » Sat Apr 30, 2011 10:43 pm

Thanks Angus, I know your vessel, not sure if I'd keep up with her on the open sea :D
We've passed by a few times out there, you always seem to have a flock of gulls following you !
ltdslipdiff
SAI Lug Worm

Postby twinkle » Sun May 01, 2011 11:46 am

where there's gulls there's anglers cleaning out big juicey codling :lol:
twinkle
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 161 times

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports