JUlie Jules, Lough Swilly 28-6-05

Postby paulbryson75 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 8:42 am

People: Paul Bryson & John Bryson

Duration: 3pm - 8pm

Tide: Slack for a while

Weather: Fine and sunny with no breeze at all - beautiful

Bait: Fresh Mackerel

Rigs: 8ft running ledgers of 150lb mono and 8/0 hooks, 2 oz leads

Results: 4 tope Boated, 1 of 38lb, 32lb, 32lb and 27lb, 5 lost. 3 Thornback ray one of which was 8lb.

Report: Had been trying for a tope all weekend to no avail, lost two on Saturday. Found out on Sunday where the tope had been caught during the recent Tope festival so headed there yesterday evening (Tuesday). Caught some fresh mackerel - eventually and then headed to the Hawks Nest off Inch Island. Fishing in only 6mtrs of water all the Tope Hooked gave a great account of themselves especially the largest one which actually came aboard with some antifouling paint on his flank after rubbing along the bottom of the boat trying to cut the line.
There was a steady of stream of action throughout the tide with no particular time standing out as any better.
Of the 5 lost, 2 of these dropped the bait after the initial run, 1 threw the bait mid fight and 2 where line snap offs - the same rod, will be putting new mono on the reel today as obviously its damaged or worn in some way.
One of the fish had about a dozen sea lice on him so must have been relatively fresh into the Lough.
Couple of decent thornies also landed for a bit of variety.
paulbryson75
SAI Bait Ball

Have thanks: 0 time

Tope

Postby bigkev » Wed Jun 29, 2005 9:17 am

Great fishing, your arms must have been knackered
Kev
bigkev
SAI Hammerhead

Have thanks: 2 times

Back again today.

Postby paulbryson75 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:05 pm

Back again today, 11am-5:30pm. 3 Tope boated, biggest 32lb, 4 lost, 4 skate and 1 doggie and a pile of mackerel all in 6mtrs of water - great spot. Will be back again tommorow afternoon.
paulbryson75
SAI Bait Ball

Postby pete » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:12 pm

Paul,
You driving a large white cruiser with yellow flags on top of the wheelhouse?

Pete
pete
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 51 times

Boat

Postby paulbryson75 » Wed Jun 29, 2005 7:33 pm

24ft White Ocqateau Cruiser, Irish flag on the mast.
Paul
paulbryson75
SAI Bait Ball

30-6-05

Postby paulbryson75 » Thu Jun 30, 2005 7:46 pm

Same spot again this afternoon - 3pm to 6pm. 3 more boated, lost 2 after good runs. No skate or doggies today. Some Mackerel but nowhere near as many as yesterday.
Proving to be a top mark - 10 good tope boated in three afternoons. :lol:
paulbryson75
SAI Bait Ball

Postby pete » Fri Jul 01, 2005 9:02 am

Paul,
Thought I might have seen you, was out on Swilly, unfortunately not fishing. Thats cracking tope fishing your having, you up in that gulley in the Hawks Nest?

Pete
pete
SAI Megalodon!

Have thanks: 51 times

Postby paulbryson75 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 10:01 am

Thats the spot Pete, just off where those two new houses are being built. Its only about 7mtrs deep where we've been getting them.
Might get another wee short run out this afternoon then thats it for me as I have to go away for 6 weeks with work.
Take it easy
Paul
paulbryson75
SAI Bait Ball

Photos

Postby paulbryson75 » Fri Jul 01, 2005 12:30 pm

Some photos have now been added - see the General Photo section or the Personal gallery of paulbryson75.
Cheers
Paul
paulbryson75
SAI Bait Ball

Swilly 1.7.05

Postby paulbryson75 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 12:50 am

Start of another month and the tope still there. Final trip this evening before heading back to work. Just myself and the wife out this evening. Caught three tope in the same spot.
We had a double hook up, two tope taking off together was great fun. How we didn't end up getting tangled, or bitten when we got the two into the boat I've no idea! (Photo showing the two tope in the boat has been added to the gallery this evening.) Had to have a pint in the White Hart Rathmullan prior to going back to Fahan.
All in all a some very succesful fishing this past 4 evenings. 13 tope boated upto 38lb, just as many lost. A few thornies and plenty of makerel - all in all top sport and all in 20ft of water. :lol:
paulbryson75
SAI Bait Ball

Postby SeanP » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:40 am

Well done Paul, you have had a great spell there, ur doing fine without uptiding anyway by the sound of it :wink:
Thought it looked a bit red by the gills on that pic, the anti-fouling explains that, my arm looks a bit that way, while wrestling with one from the last trip it gave me a right rub on the inside of my arm, damn sore for a few days :shock:
Hope they are still there when you return from work!
Sean,
SeanP
SAI Hammerhead

tope

Postby steve t » Sat Jul 02, 2005 8:54 pm

i was going to ask if you were uptiding in that depth of water but according to seans post above you werent, did you have another tekneqe for getting the bait away from boat or where you ordinary downtiding?
cheers steve
steve t

Downtiding

Postby paulbryson75 » Sat Jul 02, 2005 11:10 pm

Evening Steve,
We were using very small weights, only 2oz and freelining (no weights at all) during the slack tide periods to try to get the baits away from the boat.
Even though the tides havn't been that strong this week there is usually quite a good run of tide in the Swilly and by using the little weights we where still able to get the baits down and far enough away from the boat.
One of the fish that I lost actually took the bait as I was paying the line out probably no farther than 30 ft from the boat. As i mentioned here it was very shallow in this spot so even the weight of a mackerel on its own was taking it down far enough. I read quite an interesting article in sea angler recently about guys float fishing for Tope in Luce Bay Scotland, in depths of upto 120 ft and they reckon its very succesfull, its something I intend to try at some stage. I have been using ruby duby this past few days and as it works downtide from the boat I think helps to downtide.
With regards to uptiding, its somethng I intend trying, I've just bought a new Suveran 10ft, 10oz uptider from veals, have caught quite a few good thornies on it but havn't put a tope trace on it yet - was a bit worried about how to cast my long traces with a big bait? Still will try it next time and see what happens.
Tight lines
Paul
paulbryson75
SAI Bait Ball

Return to Archived Boat Angling Reports