APOLLO Cork March 22

Tue Mar 24, 2009 9:46 am

Date: 22.03.09……. Launch no. 8, 2009

Crew: On my own

Duration: 11:15 – 18:55

Mileage: 35.2 nautical miles

Tide: L.W. 08:45

Weather: Light North westerly’s in the morning freshening to strong westerly in the afternoon.

Bait: king rag, mackerel, sand eel, mussel crab and razor

Rigs full selection of battle rigs

Results: Species - pollack, pouting, poor cod, whiting and a tadpole fish

Report:
With the winds off the land the plan was to try some sandy patches close to the shore beyond Ballycrooneen. That plan was soon put to bed when I found a punt out of Ballycotton pulling in a net. :( :evil: :( It was about 200/300yds off shore in about 15ft. of water.
Now before everyone loses the plot this net was quite legal.
Its location near to the shore line and the possibility that it might have accidently killed bass is of great concern.
With no phone coverage and the battery running low I took a few photos in the hope that knowing that they were spotted the might be a small bit weary about things.

With the place after been netted I headed out to deeper water and some old marks.
Fished about 4/5 different reefs with only small 30/35cm ling, pollack to 3lb and plenty of poor cod been caught. :shock: :? :? I kept heading west into a nice 20mph wind and a good chop in the water.

One or two more spots had the same small fish and the Tadpole fish. :D :D :D :D

The last stop was a reef I fished twice already this year and again it did not let me down :D :D 8) with pollack to 6lb and ling to 8lb things brightened up and so did the weather. Plenty of pouting around the 2lb mark keep me busy for the hour or so I spent there.

The one thing of note for the day was the lack of ballan and cuckoo wrasse. :? :?
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: APOLLO Cork March 22

Tue Mar 24, 2009 10:20 am

Nice one Donal. Good one on the tadpole fish. Yourself and Pete will soon have a good haul of all the more unusual species around Cork....

Re: APOLLO Cork March 22

Tue Mar 24, 2009 4:10 pm

Nice one Donal, Great so see someone so active. I've still to get the first trip of the year in. Will be trout fishing this weekend. Will start to look at a bit of Towing straight afterwords.

Kev