Tigger II, Cork Harbour, 13/08/07

Mon Aug 13, 2007 10:24 am

People: Me

Duration: 9.30 - 16.30

Tide: Most of it

Weather: Cloudy then sunny and calm , occasional showers, becoming duller later

Bait: Razor, Launce, Mackerel

Rigs: various

Results: flounder(I think), plaice, pollack, cod, grey gurnard, Launce, LSD, mackerel

Report: Woke up after a night out with a hankering to go fishing, so after clearing it with my half asleep wife I took off for the day. Bit early to call around for buddies so headed off myself.

Tried Pete's mark for flats, not much happening there. My hooks were a bit big (only had 1/0 and 2/0 rigs with me) but thought I'd give it a go. Headed off to another mark, tide was pretty much low at this point and continued flat hunting with the relatively big hooks and the razor. Every time I dropped the bait I was getting a rattle almost immediately, but wasn't getting a hook up and the bait was being stripped. Started striking into the bites and got myself a few flats - mainly small - but a couple big enough to keep. Picked up the gurnard here too. I think most of the flats were flounders based on the touch test outlined in the species guide.

At some point during this I saw Skua (and presumably Jim) passing by and anchoring up a bit behind me. No idea how they got on, but I saw a couple of fish coming up.

Had another rod out for blonde ray, but had no action on it at all, not even a doggie.

After I'd run out of razor, switched both rods to looking for ray as the flats didn't seem interested in the rest of my bait. One was baited up with the launce the other with big strips of mackerel. Nothing much doing on either. The tide was starting to get up a bit when I got some nice big bites on the mackerel rod, but when I reeled in not much resistance and it was a dogfish.

My anchor started dragging at this point so I pulled it in and headed off to drift for a while picking up a few cod and pollack.

Tried plugging for bass for a while, but only managed to snag a small pollack.

Lovely day to be out when it was sunny, glad of the cuddy when it was raining.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.