dublin- bull wall

Wed Jun 09, 2004 11:44 am

was over at the bridge going to royal dublin gc. as the tide started to rise, sweepin gin under the bridge i saw loads of fish rising, taking something on the top. i couldnt see any bait in the water. i was wondering what these were, i saw a few pass under the bridge & thought they were mullet, but as some fish rose, they turned and seemed to have a gold/yellow colour on the side. anyone have any idea on this?

Wed Jun 09, 2004 12:41 pm

I don't know the area your on about but I have seen pollack bubble to the surface like this on an evening flood. It would explain the yellow belly.

Donagh

Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:46 pm

FOR ANYON WHO KNOWS THE AREA IS IT POSSIBLE THAT THERE WOULD BE POLLACK COMING IN UNDER THIS BRIDGE ON THE FLOODING TIDE CONSIDERING THE GROUND?? IF THERE ARE I'M THERE

Ground

Wed Jun 09, 2004 4:55 pm

Hi Keo,

What type of ground is it?

Small harbour pollack will often be caught on clean ground but it would need to be deep. They spend the daytime in the kelp and come to the surface during the dusk/dawn. Float fish rag under the same conditions and you'll soon find out.

Donagh

Wed Jun 09, 2004 8:26 pm

i know it well....unlikely to be pollack. fish that frequent the area are bass, mullet and coalies (the latter in nov. at night). there are huge shoals of mullet here. maybe the water you saw them through altered their colour? or maybe i am talking rubbish and they were pollack!

Thu Jun 10, 2004 9:59 am

(hopefully) we'll know soon, going to hit them over the next few days, although i dont intend using rigs for mullet, i hate those filthy bastards!

Thu Jun 10, 2004 8:05 pm

They were most definately mullet, no pollack at the wooden bridge I'm afraid. Try freelining some floating crust and trot it in with the flow.If you need casting weight use a clear bubble float or a carp controller.

Fri Jun 11, 2004 1:01 am

although i dont intend using rigs for mullet, i hate those filthy bastards!

Here's some guys that don't agree:

http://www.thenationalmulletclub.org/ :D [/b]

Sat Jun 19, 2004 8:39 am

While I was digging bait there today their was plenty of mullet and flounders around . Fish the bridge in winter and you will catch coalies . I have caught them to two pound . Also fish it during the biggest tides during winter at night and you will catch plenty of whiting .