Martello Tower, Sutton

Old Shore Reports are moved here for Public Viewing

Moderators: donal domeney, saltydog

Martello Tower, Sutton

Postby Steve O'Hanlon » Mon May 24, 2004 3:00 pm

Had to spend the last 7 weeks on the sidelines after breaking a finger playing hurling. So I was delighted to finally get out for the day last Friday.

Unfortunately the fish were not playing ball and I didn't even have a single bite! I had hoped that fresh peeler might have tempted a bass, but I knew I was fishing at the wrong time - bright sunlight over high tide is possibly the worst time to fish here!

On a more positive note I hope to be Kayak fishing off the Bailey lighthouse next weekend (yes, you read that correctly!) and that should produce some fish. I'll post a report at the weekend assuming the sea is calm enough to venture out.
Steve O'Hanlon

Re: Martello Tower, Sutton

Postby jd » Mon May 24, 2004 3:06 pm

Steve O'Hanlon wrote:I had hoped that fresh peeler might have tempted a bass, but I knew I was fishing at the wrong time - bright sunlight over high tide is possibly the worst time to fish here!

Legally speaking, you shouldn't be fishing for bass at the moment.
John
Last edited by jd on Mon May 24, 2004 4:02 pm, edited 1 time in total.
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 526 times
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby IDPearl » Mon May 24, 2004 3:16 pm

What sort of kayak have you got??
IDPearl
SAI Sea Dog!

Location: Was Dublin, then SW France, Warsaw, Hong Kong, Malaysia - Singapore!!
Have thanks: 1 time

Postby Steve O'Hanlon » Mon May 24, 2004 4:44 pm

JD, the chances of catching a bass in Dublin at any time of the year are remote, but rest assured that if I had caught one it would have been carefully released. I have only ever kept one bass for the table out of the 20 odd I have caught in the last 5 years.

Re the Kayak, it's not mine, but belongs to a good friend. It's a 3 man Canadian. We've often taken it from Dollymount round to Howth pier, but never tried fishing from it in the sea (have caught a pike in it though!).
Steve O'Hanlon

Postby jd » Mon May 24, 2004 6:57 pm

Steve O'Hanlon wrote:JD, the chances of catching a bass in Dublin at any time of the year are remote, but rest assured that if I had caught one it would have been carefully released. I have only ever kept one bass for the table out of the 20 odd I have caught in the last 5 years.

Cool-
i was just meant as a general reminder re the close season..
jd
jd
Site Admin/Owner

Have thanks: 526 times
Blog: View Blog (5)

Postby Steve O'Hanlon » Tue May 25, 2004 9:50 am

No thats fair enough. I wasn't specifically targetting them (hard to target a non-existant fish!), I just wanted to get fishing again after a long lay off. I was hoping for some doggies and a flattie or two to be honest, but nothing showed.
Steve O'Hanlon

Return to Archived Shore Angling Reports