3 venues (mainly north Wexford)

Thu May 13, 2004 11:56 pm

Fished Ballinoulart last saturday night - very poor. Handful of small bass and pup smoothies. This area has produced specimens in the last two weeks. Sunday morning fished in St Mullins and had two shad on Tasmanian Devils. Tuesday night went to Ennareilly. Fished huge crab baits on 5/0 pennell rigs 15 yards from the shoreline and caught about 50 dogfish , including three fish on two hooks. Plenty of locals active which points towards bass moving.

Fri May 14, 2004 9:22 am

Whereabouts are these marks then?

where are these marks

Fri May 14, 2004 9:59 am

St Mullins is inshore up the Barrow (Nore?) river from Waterford Harbour -Twaite Shad are a migratory species and fall for about two weeks each year during their spawning run to white or silver or similar small spinners.

Ballinoulart is in North Wexford, Ennereilly the same if I recall correctly@ -
http://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/shor ... exford.htm

Enereilly

Fri May 14, 2004 10:59 am

Enereilly is a town land just north of Arklow. Has two beachs with rocks and the river with the the pennycomequick bridge in between. South beach is signposted as a mark but north beach is also fished. Plugging is carried out in the rocks between.

Donagh

Fri May 14, 2004 3:35 pm

I would love to try for those shad as I have never caught one. They all seem to be caught on these "Tasmanian Devil" lures. What do they look like?

Fri May 14, 2004 9:28 pm

Coke , Did you fish the north or south beach Enerielly .

Tue May 18, 2004 12:38 pm

George wrote:I would love to try for those shad as I have never caught one. They all seem to be caught on these "Tasmanian Devil" lures. What do they look like?

The Slaney also has a run, I remember the Salmon fishermen use to haul a lot of them at Ferrycarrig (not deliberately).
Near Killurin may be worth a try.
Jd

3 venues

Tue May 18, 2004 9:04 pm

I fished North Ennareilly close to the rocks.

Interesting to hear of the shad running the Slaney. Does anyone know if they have been taken there in the recent past?. They do run the Nore and twenty years ago, we used get a few in the lock gates at Ringsend.

Re: 3 venues

Tue May 18, 2004 11:01 pm

Anonymous wrote: Does anyone know if they have been taken there in the recent past?. They do run the Nore and twenty years ago, we used get a few in the lock gates at Ringsend.

I sent an email to the CFB about this a year or two ago, and it still has a run- the remaining salmon fisherman (net) were/are asked to record any shad taken.

I saw some real whoppers taken in the nets in Ferrycarrig 25/30 years ago, and they seemed to get shad most hauls (very rarely bass, interestingly)