Bailey LH Report

Mon May 10, 2004 12:51 pm

Date: Sat 8th May Time: 11am-7pm
High tide came in for about 12:30pm. Using Rag, Peeler and Sandeel. First 3hrs produced nothing, althgouh a lot of nibbles.....reduced hook size, but to no avail. Stuck on a 2 hook BoomPat with rag tipped with sandeel, shortly after took in 3 doggies....only fish caught.

on another note......when we arrived, there were 3 knives on the rocks, along with other rubbish :evil: . Its getting more frequent, seeing rubbish lying around there, and it wont be long before everyone is stopped from going down if it keeps going on.

Fri May 14, 2004 3:52 pm

Last day I fished there a few mackerel bashers came while we were leaving. I tried to tell them that the mackerel season had not begun but they took no notice.

Fri May 14, 2004 6:47 pm

extremely tired of going fishing and cleaning up after other 'anglers'. fishing line in particular- lazy b******s. makes you think twice about posting reports.

Fri May 14, 2004 6:49 pm

extremely tired of going fishing and cleaning up after other 'anglers'. fishing line in particular- it takes 2 sec. to put it in a bag and half an hour of my valuable fishing time to save a seagull! makes you think twice about posting reports.

Fri May 14, 2004 8:45 pm

Hi m.b3

I know the feeling... stuff is indestructible and lasts forever so it could be last year's gut you are hauling in and I suspect most people on this site are the kind to tuck it away (if fact some of them would recycle it :lol: )

Just kiddin'

Fri May 14, 2004 9:43 pm

heh! nothing wrong with recycling! 'capri sun' packets make great mackeral lures! 1 inch long, 1cm wide, whip to a size 4 hook and cut a 1/2 inch lenght of straw. slide this over the hook to protect the whipping. finally add a small oval glow bead......beautiful!

Sat May 15, 2004 1:44 pm

Great idea! What size hooks do you find best for mackerel from the shore?

Sun May 16, 2004 4:15 pm

hi George. size 4's or 2's. mackeral from the shore are usually qite small and definately more fussy about the lures they take- avoid big 2/0 + feathers. these little beauties are very reliable. i remember one flyfisherman say that long shank size 2 hooks (silver) make a great mackeral lure. i have tried using these instaed of conventional feathers and they worked brilliantly, mind u i did put a small oval bead above the hook to immitate a head. you could put some rig tube over the hook to spice them up a little, but not to much, remember the glint of silver is the key. cheers.