the swilly again

Sun Jun 06, 2021 1:49 pm

hatched a plan to get out chasing rays, so once I picked the wife up from work at 11pm I packed the car and headed off. I had the first cast away on my secret little mark around midnight and it was bites straight away. It was only pesky dogfish but it saved a blank, there was a lot of small doggies about with the odd big one showing up. In-between the dogs I managed a ray of 5lbs followed by another of the same size, then the doggies beat the rays to the bait again. I decided to up the bait size adding a mackerel strip to double sandeel to see if i could hole the wee bait robbing doggies at bay and I work as I soon had a slack line bite which was a ray of 6lb, the best of the night. By this time it was 3am and bed was calling so the last big bait went out and I started to pack up when I turned back the line was slack again and the smallest ray of the night was running towards me, it was a small male fish but it did fight the best of the all fish that night. All in all a great night and a long time in coming, cant wait to get out again maybe head for wrasse next time.

Re: the swilly again

Sun Jun 06, 2021 10:14 pm

MC wrote:hatched a plan to get out chasing rays, so once I picked the wife up from work at 11pm I packed the car and headed off. I had the first cast away on my secret little mark around midnight and it was bites straight away. It was only pesky dogfish but it saved a blank, there was a lot of small doggies about with the odd big one showing up. In-between the dogs I managed a ray of 5lbs followed by another of the same size, then the doggies beat the rays to the bait again. I decided to up the bait size adding a mackerel strip to double sandeel to see if i could hole the wee bait robbing doggies at bay and I work as I soon had a slack line bite which was a ray of 6lb, the best of the night. By this time it was 3am and bed was calling so the last big bait went out and I started to pack up when I turned back the line was slack again and the smallest ray of the night was running towards me, it was a small male fish but it did fight the best of the all fish that night. All in all a great night and a long time in coming, cant wait to get out again maybe head for wrasse next time.

Fair play mate, nothing beats catching in the middle of the night :D