Cappagh 27.04.21

Wed Apr 28, 2021 8:53 am

When: 27/04/2021
Where: Cappagh Pier
Who: A friend and myself
Duration: 14:30 - 18:30
High Water: 18:10
Equipment: 15ft beach rod, 13ft bass rod, 9ft spinning rod. Mix of size 4 circles and 2/0 Aberdeens all on pulleys.
My Bait: Fresh Lugworm, frozen squid, fresh & frozen peeler, fresh razor clam
Conditions: Strong North North Westerly
Result: 1 small pollock, 3 corkwing wrasse for me. Friend caught a small pollock and a plaice.

We arrived in Carrigaholt before at 11 low tide at around 12 and did some foraging.
Dug a nice bit of lug and a couple of razor clams and found a few peelers.
Original plan was to fish there as well but the wind was too heavy. While it was at our backs, it would have made for an un-enjoyable day I think.
So we headed to the backup, Cappagh pier, only place I knew around that had shelter from this direction.
One hell of a current with the incoming tide. 5oz breakaways shifting from right to left.
A small pollock marked the session as a non-blank early enough.
Bad luck wasn't over yet though, we had set up about an hour and in comes a Customs vessel to the end of the pier.
So once that turned off it's engine I tried fishing the edge of the pier and that's where the wrasse were hanging out.
First time catching them from the shore, and getting one particularly good looking one too.
Around 16:30 Customs got their diesel and were away.
All went quiet for a while and then the plaice bit. It had taken the hook and wrapped itself around a snag of some kind.
But he managed to bring it in all the same.
I caught the third wrasse of the day, still in close.
This was a fairly snaggy mark due to fishing tackle. Out far my friend pulled in a nearly new set of feathers and 3oz weight.
In close there was a lot of problems, I got caught around a hand winder and line that was beside the pier :roll: . I couldn't get it out of the water but did manage to get my rig back.
And with high tide hitting the current settled and in came the crabs.
A ravenous army of them demolished the baits as they hit the ground.
Squid, crab; what ever. Wrapped in elastic; didn't matter.
I retrieved after 15-20 min and there was no trace of bait. So that was the end of the session.

Bait of the day was the clams. Wrasse were all over them, and once I ran out the bites disappeared for me.
No interest in the lug when it was alone, only as clam mix.

All fish returned.

original_3c82d28b-c986-419c-9696-067c008cc06f_IMG_20210427_170316.jpg

IMG_20210427_161705.jpg

IMG_20210427_160936.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Cappagh 27.04.21

Sat May 01, 2021 4:20 pm

Nice coloured wrasse, should be a few Ray about now.

Thu May 06, 2021 12:39 am

Jonney I've been reading about corkwing wrasse on the species guide here: https://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/fish%20-%20wrasse%20(corkwing).htm

It say's that they are only encountered on offshore reefs and that a corkwing wrasse taken from the shore would be a remarkable achievement! I wonder how outdated that info is though, as I also got one on the float here in Dublin last year

Thu May 06, 2021 8:51 am

Gonzo wrote:Jonney I've been reading about corkwing wrasse on the species guide here: https://www.sea-angling-ireland.org/fish%20-%20wrasse%20(corkwing).htm

It say's that they are only encountered on offshore reefs and that a corkwing wrasse taken from the shore would be a remarkable achievement! I wonder how outdated that info is though, as I also got one on the float here in Dublin last year

I guess that page can be updated now :lol:

To be fair, I definitely didn't expect to catch them.

Sat May 08, 2021 3:14 pm

corkwing most common after ballens from the shore - then goldshinny and rockcook
the most difficult one from the shore is the cuckoo wrasse