Malahide Beach 09.01.2021

Sat Jan 09, 2021 10:15 pm

When: 09/01/2021
Where: Malahide Beach
Duration: 17:00-20:00
High Water: 19:56
Equipment: 15ft surf rod and 11ft bass rod with pennel pulley rigs 4/0 offset main hook & 1/0 circle hook pennel.
Bait: Frozen peeler and black wraps tipped with mackerel
Conditions: Below 0°C
Result: Blank

Bought some fresh lug & peelers today for fishing tomorrow and was given a bit of extra frozen bait for free so decided to use that on Malahide beach this evening in the hopes of maybe a flounder, fished 3 hours up to the high tide, there was a bit of weed running at first but I moved down the beach away from the estuary channel as the tide came in more, no bites at all and bait was coming back untouched so hopefully I'll have a bit more luck tomorrow!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Malahide Beach 09.01.2021

Sun Jan 10, 2021 5:06 pm

caught nothing again today at Rogerstown

Sun Jan 10, 2021 6:23 pm

Some smaller hooks and rigs mabye,, wee 2 or 3 hook flappers with size 2 or 4 hooks,small strips of fish bait and worm ,, at least you'll pick up something with that,,

Sun Jan 10, 2021 9:40 pm

I agree with Martin here Gonzo.4/0 pulley rig in winter around Dublin bay is targeting mr.dogfish at the best.I do understand there is always chance for that elusive cod or bass there and you can keep one rod at it.But may be your second rod could go with flappers with small hooks to avoid blanks and keep you occupied.best of luck.

Mon Jan 11, 2021 1:10 am

MartinC wrote:Some smaller hooks and rigs mabye,, wee 2 or 3 hook flappers with size 2 or 4 hooks,small strips of fish bait and worm ,, at least you'll pick up something with that,,

Daz wrote:I agree with Martin here Gonzo.4/0 pulley rig in winter around Dublin bay is targeting mr.dogfish at the best.I do understand there is always chance for that elusive cod or bass there and you can keep one rod at it.But may be your second rod could go with flappers with small hooks to avoid blanks and keep you occupied.best of luck.

Thanks for the advice lads, I was using 3 hook flappers with size 1 hooks today in Rogerstown in the hopes of flounder, my club is doing a species hunt this year so would have been nice to get the flounder out of the way :D I think I'm mostly going to be shore fishing south of Dalkey this year though!

Mon Jan 11, 2021 12:23 pm

i fished the flat sandy beaches around dublin for years. the most productive rigs were 2 and 3 hook flappers. 5 or 6' of soft,clear mono. if the sea is rough with a big roll on it fish all hooks up the rig away from the lead, if it is calm fish 1 below the lead. 15lb. clear amnesia hooklenghts between 18" and 2 1/2' with size 4 b940 hooks as standard. specimen flounders and bass of 7lb.+ all landed on this gear without any trouble at all. you can go lighter again with rigs if you want.
i would use 6's or smaller at this time of year as you are trying to catch anything- if you catch a decent fish you still have a great chance of landing it if you take your time and the conditions are not pushing your gear to the limit. this gear not only out fished heavy pulleys and big baits but usually caught the bigger fish too. catching fish makes everything more enjoyable(unless they are pin whiting).
a size 1 is a BIG hook.the big 2/0+ hooks were used for smoothhound with crab baits, big wrasse and cod from the rocks or lobbing big soft crab baits out around rock and weed for bass. the above rigs worked all along the wicklow beaches/piers for various species.

Mon Jan 11, 2021 2:06 pm

Thats the best advice I've seen for a while. At least with smaller hooks you will pick up dabs and flounder as well as other species like rockling etc and still get the odd bigger fish too

Mon Jan 11, 2021 7:24 pm

read MB3's advice and read it again! :-) Imn printing it off, golden nuggets from a TOP angler right there! gents!!!

Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:50 am

anyone who has fished with me over the last few years will be able to tell you that there is no truth in that statement kstaff! i did do a lot around dublin area when i was young and keen. hopefully i will get a shot at it again in the summer.

Tue Jan 12, 2021 11:56 am

a forceps is handy for getting the small hooks out and some of the stonfo's are good too- look after the little fellas!

Tue Jan 12, 2021 12:03 pm

Chris uses size 1's on the video but he is fishing in Kerry!

i generally never bother with bait stops on flappers.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=BBp4rtV5KSI

lighter version. stay away from the b940ms if there is a chance of a bonus fish as the wire is easily bent and your gear must be balanced when using them or it is easy to pull the hook.

http://youtube.com/watch?v=PamVaMjfv4E