dabby doo dahs

Mon Jan 04, 2021 1:16 pm

I haven't been able to fish much recently and when I did get out not much happened despite putting the work in. Admitting defeat I went out to a local spot. Catching anything and being kept busy was a priority so I spread my options between an lrf, a continental and a heavy set up.
Bait was 2 week old mackeral which got a dose of salt before being put in a bait tub. Left over from another session, sometimes salting old bait gives it a new lease of life. I still brought some fresher stuff just incase.

My heavy set up was simple enough- 3 size 6 hooks baited,clipped and whacked out behind a 6oz. lead. I didn't use any spikes as flatfish where most likely and there was no run, wind or weed.

I ran the braid straight through on the continental set up and attached a lightish 3 hook flapper. Fished with small sharp hooks this was for exploring the ground immediatley in front of me for anything!

I had a small pop up on the top hooklenght in an attempt to appeal any early/late mackeral, weaver or coalfish and 2 hooks trailing. I flicked this where the rock met the sand. The lrf stuff was a simple split shot and hook affair for messing down the edge...

Not long after casting out he tip on the heavy rod was away with a good thump- a promising start. I left it alone for a while and had a flick around the rocks while keeping an eye on it. A shanny came quick on the lrf. Now with a fish in the bag I could relax.

Turning my attention to the heavy gear I decided to wind in. A double of dabs and one of a decent size :)

Not long after the continental set up was a away I was suprised to bring in a dab so close to shore. Retrieved with braid straight through I could feel all the headshakes on the way in.

I was kept busy for the next 2 hours before things went quite. All the better dabs had come on the distance rod.

With several shannies and a dozen dabs I was happy enough having started with such low expectations. With the sun dropping fast and cloud and thunder above the hills it was time to head. My last bite on the heavy rod produced another good dab at distance and was a nice way to end the session.

Best of luck in the new year...

Re: dabby doo dahs

Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:20 pm

Detailed report.Good size dabs and bait presentation.Nice fishing.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 4:38 pm

Nice report and a good result, as for
"My heavy set up was simple enough- 3 size 6 hooks",
I guess a 4/0 pennel rig would scare the life out of you!

Mon Jan 04, 2021 7:27 pm

it is so much easier pulling size 6's out of your fingers!

Mon Jan 04, 2021 8:56 pm

Well done nice report.

Mon Jan 04, 2021 9:54 pm

Great report and pictures - was wondering what the sheen was off the mac - the salting!
good dabs on open sea
didnt connect with a common blenny in 2020 - you know the way one of those species decides to never to appear - even though normally youd be sick of them

Tue Jan 05, 2021 5:14 pm

m.b3 wrote:it is so much easier pulling size 6's out of your fingers!

I suppose I asked for that one!

Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:02 am

Nice session mb3 for this time of year. My last 2 trips were blanks so thats encouraging. Cheers pal