Shankill Beach Corbawn Lane 29.12.2020

Wed Dec 30, 2020 1:11 am

When: 29/12/2020
Where: Shankill Beach - Corbawn Lane - down the steps and 150 meters to the right
Duration: 15:30-22:00
High Water: 23:15
Equipment: 15ft surf rod with 6/0 pennel pulley with 4/0 pennel and 11ft bass rod with pennel pulley with 4/0 offset main hook & 1/0 circle hook pennel.
Bait: Black Lugworm, Squid and Mackerel.
Conditions: Full moon, mostly clear skies, very cold
Result: Blank

After receiving some tips from another member here I decided to give Shankill beach a try for codling. I was advised to fish at high tide but since I've never been to this beach I wanted to get down while it was still bright and also get a look at what I was to be fishing into at low tide. Originally I was going to go to the left of the stairs but there was other people fishing that spot so I went right. For the first two hours I just put out a big mackerel bait on one rod while waiting until about 7pm before starting to use both rods and the cod bait (wraps/squid). It was a cracking full moon and handy too since I forgot my head torch :lol: I had planned to fish right up to high tide at 11.15pm but rolling on 10pm it was so cold and I wasn't getting any bites so I packed it in. Will probably try here again soon!

shankill5.jpg

shankill4.jpg

shankill1.jpg

shankill2.jpg

shankill3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Shankill Beach Corbawn Lane 29.12.2020

Wed Dec 30, 2020 10:51 am

Fair play Gonza, you're out and at it. Looks a lovely beach and handy mark, hope the fishing improves

Wed Dec 30, 2020 3:14 pm

Fair play. Did you lose much gear? It can be a snaggy spot

Wed Dec 30, 2020 5:21 pm

You’re right too have a look that beach in daylight cos on a big tide you’ll be pushed right up onto the boulders at the bottom of the cliffs. Hard luck on the blank, that spot usually throws up a few fish on a rising tide in darkness.

Wed Dec 30, 2020 6:14 pm

TropicThunder wrote:Fair play. Did you lose much gear? It can be a snaggy spot

I did get snagged a few times but I did my research before heading down and put heavy mono line on my reels and used pennel pulley rigs so when I got snagged I was able to muscle it out so lost nothing!

Greendag wrote:You’re right too have a look that beach in daylight cos on a big tide you’ll be pushed right up onto the boulders at the bottom of the cliffs. Hard luck on the blank, that spot usually throws up a few fish on a rising tide in darkness.

Yeah that was another reason I left early, I could see I was starting to get cut off from the steps, anyway hopefully it fishes better next time!

Mon Jan 04, 2021 2:32 am

Hi Gonzo I was fishing to the right of the steps same day with 3 others. We all blanked as well. We fished from midday til about 4.30. Didnt see you when we were leaving otherwise would have said hello.

Tue Jan 05, 2021 1:50 am

keem wrote:Hi Gonzo I was fishing to the right of the steps same day with 3 others. We all blanked as well. We fished from midday til about 4.30. Didnt see you when we were leaving otherwise would have said hello.

Ah no way that was you! yeah I walked a good bit down the beach to another spot I was eyeing up on maps! maybe we will cross paths again some day :D

Wed Jan 06, 2021 1:04 am

Yeah hope so. Gonna wet a line tomorrow at loca mark within my 5k.