Dillon's Park Dalkey 27.12.2020

Sun Dec 27, 2020 8:02 pm

When: 27/12/2020
Where: Rock platform facing Dalkey Island in Dillon's park
Duration: 14:30-18:00
Low Water: 15:45
Equipment: 15ft surf rod and 11ft bass rod, pennel pulley rigs with 4/0 offset main hook & 1/0 circle hook pennels.
Bait: Squid and Mackerel.
Conditions: Overcast and chilly
Result: 2 Whiting

I've been scouting this spot out on google maps for a while now and finally got down there to try today, casting into the deep channel of the Dalkey sound with big mackerel and squid baits on one rod and then on the other rod I had smaller baits on 3 hook flapper, which I caught 2 pin whiting with. I did get a few nice rattles on the bigger baits but no hookups. I think this place might be better in summer for mackerel and pollack!

whiting1.jpg

whiting2.jpg

dillons2.jpg

dillons3.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Dillon's Park Dalkey 27.12.2020

Mon Dec 28, 2020 12:22 am

I got a string of tiny codling from there before in summer. Pin whiting sized. I'd be surprised if the odd useful sized codling didn't show up there given they're had around the corner in Shankill and I've had them off the back of Bullock Harbour.

Mon Dec 28, 2020 1:19 am

Dave F wrote:I got a string of tiny codling from there before in summer. Pin whiting sized. I'd be surprised if the odd useful sized codling didn't show up there given they're had around the corner in Shankill and I've had them off the back of Bullock Harbour.

Ah yeah codling was the exact fish I was hoping for! I'm planning on trying Shankill beach during the week so hopefully I'll catch something decent to post about :D

Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:17 am

What type of ground was it there. Did you use rotten bottoms? Assuming as close to coaliemore it was rough ground? Went to killiney the other night. Loads of whiting a few dabs and took in a lot of half eaten whiting after big slams on the rods

Wed Dec 30, 2020 9:34 am

Thompst111 wrote:What type of ground was it there. Did you use rotten bottoms? Assuming as close to coaliemore it was rough ground? Went to killiney the other night. Loads of whiting a few dabs and took in a lot of half eaten whiting after big slams on the rods

Yeah it's definitely rough ground here, didn't use any rotten bottoms though so lost a few rigs!