The Lions Head Howth - 13.08.2020

Thu Aug 13, 2020 1:50 am

When: 13/08/2020
Where: The Lions Head Howth
Duration: 18:00-21:00
High Water: 18:23
Equipment: 9ft abu garcia spinning rod with shimano 4000 reel.
Bait/Lures: dexter wedges, sidewinders, jelly worms, jig head jelly eels, kilty lure, toby lure, german sprat spinner, tinsel feathers
Conditions: Hazy sunshine
Result: 1 mackerel, 1 whiting

After last nights successful session at the telegraph pole and after losing the big one I had an appetite for a pan sized pollock from the shore, so I decided to try the lions head this time bringing all my best lures and spinners. I started off with a weighted blue jig head with blue/silver jelly eel, then switched to a sidewinder, no luck on either of those so went with my german sprat spinner and stuck with it for a good bit. It wasn't long until I was onto a fish, reeled it in and it was a nicely sized mackerel, only it dropped off my hook lifting it out of the water :lol: So now that I knew the mackerel were there I threw on a set of tinsel feathers and used the german sprat as my weight, wasn't too long and I was on again with another mackerel, this time I landed it :lol: I switched back to using just the german sprat spinner after that and managed to catch a tiny whiting which was a surprise considering the size of the german sprat hook. I kept going for another while as I was hoping to catch a pollock as the sun was setting but it just wasn't meant to be, maybe next time!

http://youtube.com/watch?v=L7VjZJ4rtCw