Hook Peninsula, Wexford - 30/6/2020

Wed Jul 01, 2020 2:07 am

With the weather being sub-par lately, there wasn't much of a chance to get out although I did find a few weather windows over the past week or so which ended up with mixed results.

June 25th - Booley Bay
On this day I had a bait out for a while at Booley Bay on a flooding tide which yielded nothing except seaweed, and plenty of swimmers going dangerously close to my line even though I was at the far end of the beach. I can never win when it's busy.
I've always blanked here over the years apart from a tiny sole last year. Has anyone fished here before and actually caught something?

Two days later I headed down to Arthurstown Pier in hope of a few hounds once again, but alas only a dogfish showed during 3 hours of fishing with large squid and peeler baits.

June 30th - Hook Peninsula
Tonight I headed out with a friend to a beach on the seaward side of the peninsula- I had fished here before in March catching two dogfish and the same pattern emerged (3 dogfish) after 2 hours of fishing, the final ebb and slack water. As the tide started to flood, a switch to peeler finally caught 3 smooth hounds in 20 minutes, all to peeler crab.
Conditions were mostly calm apart from the odd gust of wind, with an ominous looking sky that eventually cleared up partly as the sun set.
All fish released.

Here's to some better weather, I still wish to catch a 10lb smoothie this summer (a man can dream!)
Tight lines all
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Hook Peninsula, Wexford - 30/6/2020

Wed Jul 01, 2020 9:20 am

Good stuff man , your getting out and trying different marks, although just goes to show that fishing can be hard but theres always a chance of that big hound. I hope to get out this week although the tides are falling into darkness and i would prefer a rising tide, but may get out and try. I see theres hounds being caught at passage east and am tempted to try for the crack. Tight lines

Wed Jul 01, 2020 1:29 pm

Some good size on them smoothies boss :)

Wed Jul 01, 2020 11:04 pm

Good work! Some nice fish! Never fished Booley before. Hope ya get your 10lb hound before the summers over!

Thu Jul 02, 2020 2:42 pm

Sean Mac wrote:Good stuff man , your getting out and trying different marks, although just goes to show that fishing can be hard but theres always a chance of that big hound. I hope to get out this week although the tides are falling into darkness and i would prefer a rising tide, but may get out and try. I see theres hounds being caught at passage east and am tempted to try for the crack. Tight lines

Cheers Sean, it's well worth a shot in dry and settled conditions on the flood in the estuary, haven't had smoothies from passage but have seen them caught there when I was fishing and there's been specimens caught there too. It's just a matter of what mark suits you.
Tight lines
Sharky Shark wrote:Good work! Some nice fish! Never fished Booley before. Hope ya get your 10lb hound before the summers over!

Cheers, I hopefully will as long as the weather stays somewhat suitable!

Gonzo wrote:Some good size on them smoothies boss :)

Cheers Gonzo!

Sat Jul 04, 2020 12:14 pm

Cracking smoothound!! Great report

Sat Jul 04, 2020 1:49 pm

Well done on your smoothies, keep at them, the bigger fish are there..

Sat Jul 04, 2020 10:04 pm

Rod Tips wrote:Cracking smoothound!! Great report

Cheers G, will pm you

MONKEYwrasse wrote:Well done on your smoothies, keep at them, the bigger fish are there..

Thanks Monkeywrasse, I certainly will, have an order of a dozen peeler for next week, conditions are still windy but fishable. All the best

Thu Jul 30, 2020 7:38 am

ive fished Booley bay and Dollar bay a few times and never had much at all altough they look very promising , baginbun is a nice spot but very weedy/rocky with lots of small wrasse

Thu Jul 30, 2020 6:10 pm

jellybait wrote:ive fished Booley bay and Dollar bay a few times and never had much at all altough they look very promising , baginbun is a nice spot but very weedy/rocky with lots of small wrasse

I think Dollar Bay is the better mark of the two, I think they're just too clean...plenty of better marks within the estuary.
I tried baginbun but blanked although it looked great. Did you fish the beach or the headland?

Fri Jul 31, 2020 7:12 am

I fished the beach to the left near the rocks , ive seen plenty of macks cught just off the headland to the right on kayaks not far out , you can see where the tide starts to run , I bait fish mostly but may well be worth a shot with a lure for Bass as its reefy and snaggy and while i was snorkeling there there was a huge amount of sandeel about