Portrane Cliffs 15.06.2020 - Blank

Mon Jun 15, 2020 11:22 pm

When: 15/06/2020
Where: Portrane Cliffs
Duration: 19:00-22:00
High Water: 20:20
Equipment: 15ft Shakespeare Agility Surf Rod - 1/0 two hook flapper rig with beads/attractors & 4oz bucket lead. & 11ft bass rod - 1/0 two hook flapper rig with beads/attractors & 4oz bucket lead. Bite detection bells.
Bait: Leftover Ragworm/Peeler Crab from yesterdays session.
Conditions: Sun splitting down! Barely a breeze and very little surf.
Result: Blank

At first I was going to fish high rock in Malahide this evening in hopes of a nice smoothie but when I got there it was crowded with swimmers and anglers with nowhere even to park, so I decided to give Portrane cliffs a go since I've only ever fished here spinning or on the float, let's see what some baits can catch I thought. I got to the mark at just before 7, and there was a good few anglers about, I walked down to the big flat rock past the second cove but there was 2 lads fishing here, so I setup on the other side of them to fish into the bay/cove off a bit of a drop. I setup with rag close in on my 11ft bass rod and peeler on the 15ft surf rod as far as I could cast. First cast I got a nibble on the rag but no hook up. I think it was 3rd cast and the lads I was fishing beside came over for a chat, and just as they asked if I'd had any luck so far, bang, big bite on my 11ft bass rod, I lifted the rod, and after 2 turns of the handle I was into a snag, disaster, I think the fish swam into a reef that wasn't too far out. Eventually I got unsnagged with the gear in tact but fishy was long gone. Unfortunate. This happened again not too long after, nice bite, lifted the rod and bang I'm in a snag, probably the same reef, but this time I lost my tackle. Few nibbles over the next hour or so and I got another bite, and would you believe it, another snag, lost this tackle as well, so packed it up and called it a day.

So to conclude my report, I now know there is fish to be had here, one lad told me he had caught a 7lb smoothie the night before there. So I think a good looking over at low tide is in order before returning here :D

Tight Lines
Gonzo

Re: Portrane Cliffs 15.06.2020 - Blank

Tue Jun 16, 2020 10:56 am

Gonzo, fair play you’re certainly putting in the time! Try using a pulley rig with a rotten bottom (12lb mono too the weight). They’ll keep your gear up out of any snags. If it’s wrasse it pollock you’ll have to bully them to keep them out of the snags too!

Re: Portrane Cliffs 15.06.2020 - Blank

Tue Jun 16, 2020 11:41 am

Chris T wrote:Gonzo, fair play you’re certainly putting in the time! Try using a pulley rig with a rotten bottom (12lb mono too the weight). They’ll keep your gear up out of any snags. If it’s wrasse it pollock you’ll have to bully them to keep them out of the snags too!

Cheers Chris! I was thinking that myself, I have a load of pulley rigs ready made that I never use :roll: :lol: