Portrane Beach 04.06.2020

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:29 am

When: 04/06/2020
Where: Portrane Beach
Duration: 20:00-23:30
High Water: 22:24
Equipment: 12ft beachcaster - 2/0 two hook flapper rigs with beads/attractors & 5oz grip lead. & 11ft bass rod - self made rig, 2 hook paternoster with 3/0 circle hooks, green & black beads and some attractors. Bite detection bell/lights.
Bait: Ragworm.
Conditions: A bit chilly with some wind from the north, a tiny bit of surf which died down a bit as the night went on.
Result: 1 small flounder and a dab?? bigger flounder

So with the good weather the last few days I'd been having trouble getting to a decent mark that wasn't swamped with people, so with today being overcast and a lot cooler than recent days I decided to go dig some rag at low tide. I got to my mark at about 8pm. Nothing for the first hour or so and then bang I get a hit on the 11ft bass rod, now this flatfish didn't look like other flounders I've caught, which I thought it was at first but looking back at the picture I'm thinking it might of been a dab? maybe someone wiser could confirm this from the pic? This fish was also the first fish I've caught on a rig I've made myself which I'm really happy about but anyway he was nicely size but not nicely sized enough so he was released :D not too long after that I caught the tiniest little flounder on my other rod. This fish was unbelievably small, maybe just a little bit longer than the hook it tried to eat :lol: I then fished the next 2-3 hours without a single bite, such is life.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.
Last edited by Gonzo on Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:10 am, edited 1 time in total.

Re: Portrane Beach 04.06.2020

Thu Jun 04, 2020 10:41 am

still a flounder - they come with all sorts of camouflage and patterns

you know its a dab by the lateral line - there is a perfect semi-circular bump in it
they also look a bit more translucent through the white side

Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:15 am

corbyeire wrote:still a flounder - they come with all sorts of camouflage and patterns

you know its a dab by the lateral line - there is a perfect semi-circular bump in it
they also look a bit more translucent through the white side

dang I was hoping for another species for the list :lol:

Thu Jun 04, 2020 12:08 pm

Try coming down in your hook size to size 1 or 2. This is in no way a criticism, you made a rig to catch fish and it worked but you might pick up more with smaller hooks.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk

Thu Jun 04, 2020 5:03 pm

Well done gonzo,, a dab skin is smooth towards the tail and rough towards the head.. much like a dogfish.. as keymcg says drop down a few hook sizes... you will still nail a big fish on a smaller hook ..nice long shank aberdeen or something.. easier to unhook them then

Thu Jun 04, 2020 11:51 pm

Well done! Beats a blank! Good to be catching!