Last casts of 2019, Waterford Estuary - 30/12/19

Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:13 am

For the past 12 rather hectic months, I haven't got out fishing as much as I'd hoped to but I did add 3 new species to the list, my first bass, my first spurdog and my first sole. The past 3 months have been quite busy with my final year of the Leaving Cert, but over Christmas I found the time for my final session of the year.

I hit a very local pier mark, just a 5 minute spin away and arrived rather late in the tide, 45 minutes before high water. I spotted this break in the wind and rain, there wasn't a breeze out and it was unusually warm, as in I was sweating a bit? In December? Who's denying global warming now? :lol: :shock:
Armed with frozen lug wraps, mackerel and sandeel, 2 rods accounted for a larger bait out far and a 2 hook flapper in close. On the first cast of the flapper rod a quick rattle preceded a tiny codling, the first of many to nibble at my lugworm baits. I missed most of the bites, but another followed that wasn't so tiny at around 27cm. The cod from the waterford estuary have never been huge I found. This same rod experienced most of the action with a decent enough dab following accompanied by a tiny flounder and another dab within 30 minuted intervals filled with constant nibbling bites from pin whiting. The rod out far received no action at all until the end where probably my best whiting of the year of 32cm took a sandeel/lugworm combo. Not bad for a few hours, met a fellow angler who had similar results and told me about a mark that I will try in 2020. I was happy to not blank for the final session!

Codling.jpg

Dab.jpg

Whiting.jpg

Tight lines in 2020, I hope to catch my first ray and perhaps a bass on the lure! I've been fishing for nearly 4 years and I don't plan on stopping any time soon. Happy new year everyone!
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Last casts of 2019, Waterford Estuary - 30/12/19

Tue Dec 31, 2019 11:12 am

Nice one. :D .. hard to beat a few different species on a trip..

Tue Dec 31, 2019 3:44 pm

MartinC wrote:Nice one. :D .. hard to beat a few different species on a trip..

Thanks Martin, you're dead right! I'm hoping to start the 2020 species list off like that in the coming weeks

Fri Jan 03, 2020 10:38 am

Good man, nice report. Its always nice to get among some fish well done. Here's to 2020 and some new species.