West and East Coasts, 19, 28, 29th December, 2019

Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:02 pm

As 2019 draws to an end I was keen to squeeze a few more trips out of it to make up for some lost time earlier this year.

December 19th saw me on a Donegal beach on a mild day with what I thought was a nice surf coming in; I had been expecting more. I had picked up some Bluey for bait, there wasn’t much else available but it’s quite oily if a bit soft though nothing a bit of elastic can’t fix. I also had some frozen razor and prawns. As usual, two rods for near and far were assembled and the flapper rigs were soon heading seaward. It was about half tide on the ebb and it took over 2 hours for any interest to register in the form of a 21cm flounder from close in. However this was followed only 5 mins later by a better fish at 28cm from the far rod. Another similar flounder, accompanied by a generous portion of “salad” took the near bait after another 15 mins and just as I was allowing my expectations get the better of me the bites died away. I persevered for another hour but had only 2 small coalies to show along with increasing amounts of weed so I headed to another nearby pier mark where the water was deeper. Like many Donegal piers, this had recently been the subject of “improvement works”. I’m no marine architect but placing 3-4 large concrete sarcophagus-like blocks about 12 feet back from the end of the pier didn’t strike me as the best idea. Sure enough after casting out, I stepped back towards the tripod and forgetting about the blocks, stumbled over and dropped the rod. The line was cut on the edge of the block and I lost my new tiplight into the bargain. I suppose I was lucky not to damage the reel or shatter a couple of rod rings. A couple of casts later with the other rod and I snagged the broken line and retrieved it, happy not to be leaving 80-90 yds of mono wafting in the tide. 1 small whiting later and with the weather worsening, I called it a day.

December 28th, I was back on a beach, this time to participate in Killybegs Mariners Cancer Charity competition. Again there was a nice surf though a very strong wind was blowing along the beach. The fish weren’t feeling very charitable, I had one bite in four hours which fortunately developed into a 26cm turbot thus saving the dreaded blank; I have managed to avoid a blank this year (sea fishing anyway) and would hate to fall so late in the year. In the heat of competition fever, I forgot to get a pic of the turbot but it was white on one side and brown with black, lumpy speckles on the other. Even if I didn’t meet too many fish it was good to meet a few acquaintances including Rushnaldo and keymcg from the site. There were a few nice flounder got but further up the beach. There were some very capable anglers close to me who struggled so I’m quite content to kid myself that the fish just weren’t on our part of the beach. I’m still trying to figure out what the fish consider to be “a nice surf”.

December 29th. I had been in touch with Chuckaroo a few days earlier about a run out somewhere more local and we settled on the Antrim coast where we would be joined by Guernica from the site. There was a strong wind blowing but we selected a sheltered spot and set up just on high water. It was a spot I fished a lot years ago but not recently. Chuckaroo and myself have differing approaches to fishing, I like to get bait in the water asap but Chuckaroo looks around, takes his time and even nipped down to the local shop for a round of coffees before setting up. Meantime my first cast produced a good rattly bite which I could spot despite the wind bouncing the rod tip. In came the fish; a mackerel, most unexpected from this spot especially at the end of December. Nothing much happened for a while and the 3 of us were comparing notes on bad days out and the curse of the first cast fish when it dawned on me that I had just done that; got a fish on the first cast followed by nothing. Fortunately a mere hour and a half later I reeled in a small flounder 17-18cm. “A halibut!” shouts Guernica to Chuckaroo who instantly scales up hooks and bait….It only took another hour for another similar “halibut” to bite but at least I was catching something, the other two lads were struggling but by way of consolation, the scenery was good. Our hopes were on darkness, perhaps the twinkling of 6 coloured tiplights would attract some fish and sure enough Guernica opened his account with what was by comparison with my earlier efforts, a half decent flounder. I added another flounder to my tally and then the pin whiting started to show. We were all getting them and I responded by upsizing the hooks and baits on one of my rods. Chuckaroo was getting among the fish with a flounder and whiting double and added to that with a coalie to top the species hunt. We decided to fish to low water and let that do. I reeled in my rod to finish the day and probably the year with a double of flounder and whiting on the bigger hooks and baits. Sadly the fish weren’t proportionately bigger! Did the year end with a bang or a whimper?

Well, the 2019 photo album is just about full with its highlights and a few lowlights, roll on 2020….
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: West and East Coasts, 19, 28, 29th December, 2019

Mon Dec 30, 2019 5:07 pm

Some more pics...
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Dec 30, 2019 6:02 pm

johnwest wrote:...Chuckaroo looks around, takes his time and even nipped down to the local shop for a round of coffees before setting up.
Just the usual approach to give yous guys a head start JW..
johnwest wrote:Did the year end with a bang or a whimper?
It was certainly very slow to get going but things improved considerably into dark. I believe that I actually caught all my fish (9) in darkness
Ok, no monsters, but it was nice to be out on a mild winter night and to be 'at it' blowing off the cobwebs and turkey stuffing.. :) Enjoyed it rightly

A few bleary-eyed post Xmas fishermen there, lol. All good
A few good pics there too Paddy
I'll post a few this evening fwiw

Think Guernica is still down there. catching nowt :P

Happy New Year All

Chuckaroo

Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:09 pm

Eloquent and witty as ever JW. Chuckaroo, I have never seen a man F about like it before setting up. Remind me never to go to a mark that requires fishing a very specific time with you : )
Guernica is just home for a brief pulse check with the Mrs before the next expedition. This was my best effort today from a new (sort of) spot. Great potential from Spring on me thinks. Not a September lure-caught brute but it'll do on bait at year's end. A couple of fillets and a lock of batter and I'll just about get away with missing NYE with Her Indoors to go fishing : ) Dropped a bigger, much more energetic fish - yes, that old chestnut again : )

Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:46 pm

Mon Dec 30, 2019 9:48 pm

Mon Dec 30, 2019 10:49 pm

Great work jw and the lads.. the mackrel was definitely an interesting one.. hope to meet up and cast a line in 2020..

Mon Dec 30, 2019 11:51 pm

Class as usual jw and co. Nice way to end 2019! Happy new year

Tue Dec 31, 2019 12:11 am

Great to see you at the charity match JW. The fish fish didn't show up but the anglers certainly did, 42 in total, a great response for a worthy cause.

Sent from my SM-G950F using Tapatalk