November Stock Taking

Thu Nov 14, 2019 4:05 pm

Out on a pub comp last Sunday so Youghal was on the plan.
Low water was at 10:30
Conditions were picture postcard stuff.

Arrived at Ferry Point about 09:20 and set up the rod stand to book my spot before anyone else arrived. As there was a bit of the dropping sill there I would normally have fished the left hand corner. But this spot was taken by 2 other anglers from Dublin. By the time I was ready to cast out 3 more anglers arrived. The first ¾ of an hour was slow and only one cod to show. So it was time to move. The lads to my left were old fishing buddies and didn’t mind me casting out over their heads and let the tide take the trace past them. :P :P :oops: :roll:
The next 7 cast all at distance produced 7 cod in about 40 minutes of madness. The only break I took was to take off the hoodie and the few pics. The two mates and the two lads further to the left were catching nothing. Distance and knowing the right spot to put the bait, been the difference between us. :(
105055.jpg

105100.jpg

As the tide started to push I made acquaintances with the 2 dubs :roll: if only to flake baits out over their heads and let the tide take back to where I was fishing from. This produced a 2 more cod to size (minimum size30cm) that gave me 10 cod the size ranging from 34cm to 40cm. :lol:

105048.jpg

some of the cod most around the 37/38cm size

With a 3.9mt tide it was time to move on. Headed to spot number 2 where I had another 7 cod of better quality. Also had a 29cm flounder and a 45 cm bass both put back.
RIVER COD.jpg

OUT OF SEASON.jpg

By 15:00 I had enough of it and headed back for the weigh-in. Well anybody getting more than 17 cod deserved to beat me. Back at the bar with 50 minutes to spare I opened the flask an enjoyed a nice few cups of homemade soup and buttered rolls 8) :D :D
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: November Stock Taking

Fri Nov 15, 2019 11:07 am

Excellent report Donal and great fishing. Makes me want to jump in the car and drive, unfortunately there giving windy conditions today again. Defo going to head down when this wind takes a hike.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 4:45 pm

Outstanding report, once again, Donal. As Sean Mac, said your reports and exploits down that way always makes me want to drop everything and drive too ! Long way down and back from here in a day tho and getting a bit chilly for bunking in the car now lol.

Fri Nov 15, 2019 5:11 pm

Heading back down again tomorrow I've got a few crab hanging out of their shells. :P Low water is at 14:00 so plan to be there about 13:00 to catch the end of the ebb.
I'll be the nutcase with the Pajero jeep driven down onto the beach, best beach buddy and bait tray you could ever use. :lol:

Sat Nov 16, 2019 9:28 am

The cod whisperer :lol: didnt know about cod at low tide, explains my blank in youghal :P

Sat Nov 16, 2019 11:49 am

My opinion is that the cod move up and down the river with the tide. While some stay up river, this can be seen in their colour gone from been brown to a pale white. The fish that come back down on the ebb either go back out into open water or drop into the few deeper holes that exist in the river. Knowing where they are is the secret to success.

Sun Nov 17, 2019 12:51 pm

I knew there had to be some knack to it.Easy find the gulleys, just look out for the pajero :D getting hungry looking at them cod, be down to try my luck after the bait pump arrives :P

Sun Nov 17, 2019 1:07 pm

Here is a few from yesterday stock take or should it read taking the stock. 8)

It was slow going, I think I reeled in 4 or 5 times without a fish on. :oops:

153210.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Mon Nov 18, 2019 1:12 am

donal domeney wrote:Here is a few from yesterday stock take or should it read taking the stock. 8)

It was slow going, I think I reeled in 4 or 5 times without a fish on. :oops:

153210.jpg

Ahhhhhhh Donal ! yer spoilt down there.....I be out for 8 to 12 hours at a go and if I reeled in with a fish 4 - 5 times I'd count myself lucky and that's casting 2 rods every 15-20 mins...............thats minimum 96 casts, not allowing for the screw ups lol lol lol

Mon Nov 25, 2019 5:39 pm

Any news on the cod championship

Mon Nov 25, 2019 7:59 pm

Nothing yet :cry:

Tue Nov 26, 2019 12:37 pm

After recording my first blank on Youghal beach Saturday night it was back to Ferrypoint on Sunday for some real fishing.
Fishing was so bad Sat night that the bait that come in on the last cast was used Sunday on the first cast and caught a cod. Had a total od 6 cod off Ferry point with a good few fish coming from distance. Headed up the river after an hour and a half. Had 4 nice cod until a seal turned up.

20191124.jpg

looking at the colour of them they seemed to have been up the river for a while as they had lost their dark brown colour.