They are on the way Part II

Thu Oct 17, 2019 9:47 am

A Garryvoe beach, Oct 16th. High water about 19:45
Fishing from 19:00 to 22:00
Baits used were crab and lug
Rigs, 2 hook clip down
Conditions, a good blow across the beach.

Back to the same venue where I was 2 weeks ago to make sure the lads were still feeding. :) :roll:

Plenty of weed and dead Portuguese man-of -war :evil: up on the high water mark but because of the nature of the venue you are fishing high above the water line. So the line was a nice bit out from it. Only picked up weed towards the end of the session as the tide dropped off and I started to fish down on the beach.

Into a cod from the off, not a big one 36cm. I’ll fit him down the side of the pan.
200002.jpg

192218.jpg

212115.jpg

Fished big baits so a lot of small bites didn’t result in a hook up.
Got a bit worried for a while when I landed a coalie and 2 dogs. :P
The coalie was released at the waters edge, they’re not great survivors out of the water so not pic. As for the dogs no comment.

Faith was restored when a few real fish started to show.
212233.jpg

212301.jpg

Not a bad session 7 cod smallest about 30/31cm, 2 dogs, a small whiting and a coalfish with the best 2 fish last.
221053.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: They are on the way Part II

Thu Oct 17, 2019 11:56 am

They're getting bigger; looking forward to Part III.

Thu Oct 17, 2019 4:45 pm

Excellent stuff, Am looking forward to getting out for the cod.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:07 am

johnwest wrote:They're getting bigger; looking forward to Part III.

Out again Sunday hopefully a few bigger ones will have headed up the river in Youghal.
High water is 10 am and with a lot of fresh water coming down the Blackwater it should make it interesting.
This is a real comp, just like the old days, leave the check-in at 08:30 back for 17:00 edible only and minimum fish size 30cm 8)

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:13 am

Sean Mac wrote:Excellent stuff, Am looking forward to getting out for the cod.

If you are heading to an East Cork beach never be afraid to fish a dropping tide. The last two sessions had the best of the fish caught on the drop.
Had this fellow last Sunday 2 hours after high water. Hit the scales at 9.2lb Conditions were flat calm too calm to get the cod feeding.

204106.jpg
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Fri Oct 18, 2019 10:26 am

nice one Donal that's a good fish :) can you point a few them west when you are putting them back :)

Fri Oct 18, 2019 8:11 pm

m.b3 wrote:nice one Donal that's a good fish :) can you point a few them west when you are putting them back :)

On weather watch at the moment. It's looking like 3 days of northerly winds that should flatten out Ballycotton Bay. If the weather forecast go to plan there should be a bit of a blow on the way for Tuesday evening. Guess where I'll be? 8)