Smoothound

Thu Aug 22, 2019 10:42 am

Headed to Courtown two weeks ago armed with peeler crabs i got off Joe, had to keep the crabs in the fridge for two days due to the bad weather. The winds were light and blowing North Westerly. The sea looked good apart from lots of dogs and people on the beach which i just ignored as i was so excited to hit the beach. I fished two rods one with a pulley pennel rig and the other with a two hook clipped down rig. On the pulley rig i used crab and the other rig i used black lug and sandeel. Got a new rod which i was eager to try an Akios hellraiser which lasted 4 casts before the tip section broke much to my disappoinment however with the other rod i had my first smoothound so i was over the moon and soon forgot the broken rod. The smoothounds hammered my baits for a few hours fishing a falling tide but unfortunetly i didnt mange to hook another. I backed off the drag on the reel to prevent my rod going swimming and had to be close to the rod at all times. A very enjoyable day was had and will get back soon for another day.

Re: Smoothound

Thu Aug 22, 2019 4:58 pm

The smoothounds hammered my baits for a few hours fishing a falling tide but unfortunetly i didnt mange to hook another.

Read Rodger the Dodger's post "smoothie tips" ; some good advice on increasing the chances of a hook-up;
viewtopic.php?f=6&t=35016&hilit=Smoothie+tips#p275117

Sun Aug 25, 2019 8:37 am

Thanks for this info, my god they sure do hit the baits !!! I think my hook point was not clear enough.

Tue Aug 27, 2019 9:12 pm

Like this is perfect Image

Sent from my SM-G960F using Tapatalk

Wed Aug 28, 2019 3:07 pm

If you don't mind me asking Roger what beach is that. I mainly fish wexford is it there?? Never fished one that looks like that

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:37 pm

Thompst111 wrote:If you don't mind me asking Roger what beach is that. I mainly fish wexford is it there?? Never fished one that looks like that
Annarielly beach or Newcastle I think

Wed Aug 28, 2019 4:45 pm

Haven't fished ennerielly at all this year has it fished well at all. Was always good for the smoothies

Thu Aug 29, 2019 9:49 am

roger de dodger wrote:Like this is perfect Image

Great photo Roger and i can see those hook points thanks for the tip