Dun Laoghaire East Pier - May 6th

Tue May 07, 2019 12:07 pm

LW: 7:30 AM
HW: 1:30 PM
Conditions: Sunny then clouds.Bit cold with light wind.
Baits: Lure fishing

Started fishing at about 8:00 AM. Second cast and I was into a nice pollock at around 2lb mark. Another 2 casts later and I was landing a second one similar in size. Caught about 4 more for the next hour or so. I lost one of the heavier lures and didn't had another to replace it so I could no longer cast at the same distance. I suspect this is the reason why all of a sudden it went silent for about 2 hours. I was casting about 45 feet closer.

Decided to try moving around and testing different spots and I found them again over shallower water between seaweed. Hooked one that seemed a lot bigger then previous ones but after a 2 mins drill it got off the hook. Cast again in the same place and I hook another one...about 3lb mark. After that almost a plague of small ones...20cm or less. Decided to call it a day @ 2:30 PM. 20+ pollocks in total (minus 1 that was stolen by a seal from the hook...nice drill by the way once the seal grabbed it :)).

PS: Many people fishing for mackerel (already??)...quite few taken from what I've seen.
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Re: Dun Laoghaire East Pier - May 6th

Wed May 08, 2019 2:34 pm

Hi, thanks for the report, sounds like a busy session. Where on the East Pier were you fishing, near the back of the bandstand or down towards the harbour entrance?

Wed May 08, 2019 3:25 pm

Towards the harbor entrance.

Sun May 12, 2019 11:36 pm

Some lovely fish. We'll done!

Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:01 pm

Went down there last night.
Not a dickie bird!!

Thu Jun 06, 2019 5:37 pm

Time of day, tide and type of LURES makes a massive difference.

I can't for the life of me catch a pollock on softlures on that pier...but had great success with metal pirks.
Also I had very little success after sundown and low water seems to be worst...especially during spring tides.

All I can say is keep at it. They're definitely there.

Here's some more pics from a session on June 1st...just to get your interest going :lol:
You do not have the required permissions to view the files attached to this post.

Sat Jun 22, 2019 11:53 am

Do you do much fishing off the west?